What's new
What's new

Van Norman Quill Question...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
This might be a really dumb question, but does anyone know of any quilled Van Normans that might be sitting around that might be just parts machines that could donate a quill head?

Two, if not, does anyone have the quill head drawings? I have seen the parts drawing, but I'd be more interested in the actual build drawings.

I understand I am asking almost the impossible.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

just FYI, at least on the 1R series, the 'driving end' (going into the head) of the geartrain (flange, bearings, etc) for the quill model (1RQ) looks to be from the parts diagrams moderately but significantly different from the non-quill (1R3) model, enough that a simple bolt-on/bolt-off swap of heads does not look like it would work.

Quickest, cheapest, and easiest route to get a quill is to just build an adapter for a Bridgeport head on the overarm. I have a 2RQ and have very basic drawings for the head on it, but it's a bigger head than the 1RQ, as it has a NMTB 40 taper in the spindle instead of 30.

Or find one of the scarce but _not_ nonexistent sub-heads that do have a quill (it is crank operated, not lever, and has no power feed to the quill). I chased one down successfully but it was originally from a larger VN with different mount bolt pattern, so I need to make an inter-adapter plate for it to fit up to the head on my 1R3

I just put money down on that one actually.

Going to move it in a week or two
That one is a good buy. A little high on the price, but not too bad considering how it looks.

On a side note, I've changed my mind on this. I am currently working on the planning and aquirring parts to make mine work the way I want it to. A quill really isn't needed in my plan now. Thank you for the replies.

That one is a good buy. A little high on the price, but not too bad considering how it looks.

On a side note, I've changed my mind on this. I am currently working on the planning and aquirring parts to make mine work the way I want it to. A quill really isn't needed in my plan now. Thank you for the replies.

Yeh price was high, I didnt try and talk him down though, he said he could hold it for me till I finished moving into the house I bought.

On the other hand it still has a good majority of the flaking on the slides and seemed to be in tolerable to actually pretty decent condition.

Back