What's new
What's new

Van Norman Slotter Attachment- What will it fit?

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I have an opportunity to get a Van Norman slotting attachment, I have not seen it in person, only a few pics. Seller found a video on youtube which shows one on a Van Norman #12, what I have is a Van Norman 1R.

Does anyone know if the slotter was a universal attachment, or were they machine specific? What would a fair price for one be?

I have an opportunity to get a Van Norman slotting attachment, I have not seen it in person, only a few pics. Seller found a video on youtube which shows one on a Van Norman #12, what I have is a Van Norman 1R.

Does anyone know if the slotter was a universal attachment, or were they machine specific? What would a fair price for one be?

They are definitely machine family specific (for instance a slotted for a VN12 won’t fit a VN22).

There are some manuals and catalogs on vintage machinery . org which
Have information...

Very roughly, there were two basic sizes for most of the Van Norman attachments. The 12/16 machines would take one size and the 22/24/26/28 machines (and their 3X counterparts) would take the larger size. The 1R is similar in some ways to the older 16 and similar in other ways to the later and larger machines. I don't have a copy of the VN accessories catalog that is new enough to cover the 1R/2R/3R machines, and don't have the brochures for those machines handy at the moment, so can't be confident which slotter will fit your 1R.

Additionally, there were apparently some changes within the 2X/3X series related to location of spindle face attachments. A thread has been active here in the last few months on adapters needed to mount a particular attachment on various 2X models of mills.

I just sold my slotting attachment because it won't for my new VN. Here is a picture of the rear of it. My bigger 22 does not have the same size pattern as this. Now I do know it is possible to build an adapter, which is what I am considering with my universal head to use as a sideways saw to cut metal. If an adapter does need built, it is going to add some hieght to the whole assembly.
6190e41f94b018c20b03363c4f46ce1d.jpg

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

dalmatiangirl61- there seem to be at least three distinct patterns to the VN attachments like subheads and slotters- one is a three bolt arrangement for the smaller early machines like the 12 (maybe the 16, not sure), one is a four bolt arrangement for [apparently] the 22 and larger, and the final one is a three bolt the smaller late '1R' machines (different in many dimensions from the 3-bolt on the earlier machines). Some of us were discussing some of these variables at the following link, in relation to the universal high speed subheads that have quills:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ad-357979/?highlight=kd1yt+van+norman+pattern

I've got a 1R3 and a 4-bolt style universal sub-head and the beginnings of an adapter flange to go between

If you are asking about a slotter head for a 1R, I hope that means that you have indeed managed to save the machine that was under discussion previously at:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-mill-350205/index4.html?highlight=van+norman

If you are asking about a slotter head for a 1R, I hope that means that you have indeed managed to save the machine that was under discussion previously at:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-mill-350205/index4.html?highlight=van+norman

I have some off the shelf gears for that machine that I think will work, and that project is almost back to front of the que:willy_nilly:. I'm almost finished with flywheel grinder, next job is to get the phase converter wired in as most machines are ready to go, and I need power to trouble shoot the Thompson grinder, and I need lathe operational again to modify gears for the VN. Sun is shinning today, but there is a nip in the air, todays job is cutting firewood.

Back