What's new
What's new

Vertical head on No2 B&S Mill

donie

Diamond
I came across and bought this mill mostly for the light duty vertical head, but I might be able to get the machine going.
I am not familiar with this style of head, it has an adjustable quill, with I suppose is a B&S taper.
The head will clean up fine, I have been looking for a mill with vert head, now I may be just looking for a mill.

OcivqzL.jpg

BVEb0Ii.jpg

BEON4bd.jpg

It looks like, if the quill is moved all the way up, the B&S self holding taper will eject, I will have this disaster in my drive way in a couple of days.
This is a Hanford machine, appears to have very little use, before it was dragged outside.

Has a draw bar (?), likely regular NMTB 40

Could be. Seems to be a flange peeking outta the grime. Still might get it back to pre-War Two, so hardly recent.

But both of my mills with B&S tapers use drawbars as well and the Dividing Head B&S taper "can do".

Might have all the mill he needs if this one needs more de-rusting sweat than it does gears or knee-drive parts. Straightforward creatures, those were.

“Hanford machine” caught my eye, I’m in West Richland just wondering how it came to be in your possession? I keep an eye on the auctions over in Pasco that seems to get a fair bit of Hanford surplus, and I think I remember a surplus store many years ago on the edge of town. I’ve got to believe most of the good stuff is long gone haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My error - thought he might be referring to B&S version of Flash Change, named Cam Lock - no draw bar. Thumbnails show some of that

Could be. Seems to be a flange peeking outta the grime. Still might get it back to pre-War Two, so hardly recent.

But both of my mills with B&S tapers use drawbars as well and the Dividing Head B&S taper "can do".

Might have all the mill he needs if this one needs more de-rusting sweat than it does gears or knee-drive parts. Straightforward creatures, those were.

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 147
  • scan03crop.jpg
    scan03crop.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 131
“Hanford machine” caught my eye, I’m in West Richland just wondering how it came to be in your possession? I keep an eye on the auctions over in Pasco that seems to get a fair bit of Hanford surplus, and I think I remember a surplus store many years ago on the edge of town. I’ve got to believe most of the good stuff is long gone haha

This machine was surplused out of Hanford in the late 1980s along with many other machines. The facility they were in machined beryllium, and was closed in the 70s, the machines sat for close to 20yrs. One of the big buyers at the time was John at George Washington Machine.
The mill could of been purchased by John and sold to someone that ended up dragging it outside. The machine is easy to recognize its Gov tags USA H.E.W., and a service co. tag jaco. The machines in the sale were all in good working condition many re-built. I currently have 3 machines that came out of that sale.

I think this machine is post WW2, this mill does not have the sexy curves of the earlier machines, it looks like an ancient K&T with the flat sides. I tend to think this machine was built for reduced cost.
The machine had very little wear, I might get lucky and there wont be any busted gears.

Over the years, there were some great surplus stores selling all kinds of things out of Hanford, I bought hard to find Monarch EE lathe electronics at Art Carpenters surplus in Kennewick.

The machine had very little wear, I might get lucky and there wont be any busted gears.

Hanford took as good a care of all their machines as you've showed us already, my bet is nothing bustid nor even badly worn. Rust will soon be off of it, I'm sure!

If the vertical happens to be B&S, it looks stout enough for larger than # 9, but if # 9 it is, I've got a few items surplus to my two spindles for it, can get you able to grip an endmill or three whilst you search-out more. It's still "out there", at least in #7 & #9. Still works better than R8, lasts longer as well. MUCH longer!

Just takes patience to accumulate.

I was thinking it was B&S #9, but I think it is No40, the main spindle is No50. My Brother has two B&S mills, I am sure both vertical heads have B&S taper spindles.
I should be able to graft a 1" Collet chuck, and make a shank for a Wohlhaupter head, if it is B&S taper, I will be good.
The machine is not matching up in WW2 era and earlier publications.

You can see some of that "later" stuff in Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines (by B&S) if you look at such as my 1953 edition

All the fifty taper jobs are full size heavy duties - not the neat little "Light Type"

That’s some neat local history, thanks for sharing.

I bought hard to find Monarch EE lathe electronics at Art Carpenters surplus in Kennewick.

Art’s surplus ....and go-kart shop lol

I should be able to graft a 1" Collet chuck, and make a shank for a Wohlhaupter head, if it is B&S taper, I will be good.

I have but TWO "native" 40-Taper collets, 3/4' and 1" IIRC. Not "through bored" of course, Drawbar, as usual. Schaublins and Deckels used them, so they are "out there".

My add-on head for the Quartet is a K&T adaptation. As with your one, it gets its drive off the Horizontal spindle, so is already mounting low-down and shorter of vertical daylight than BP & clones might be. Your one has limited quill travel. Mine has none at all.

Those stubby 40 taper collets are good for mounting boring heads and such on those heads. Stiff goods. No flange. Set back as they are, they don't use-up any daylight, either.

Last edited:
On the ground now,
dKo1Nym.jpg

The mill has a silent chain drive, that is still in good shape, I think the motor is 5hp.
x1qMVFf.jpg

I sprayed the machine with PB Blaster five days ago. and just used a 1/2" wide carbide scraper to test this small area on the table, looks very encouraging!
swnmM4c.jpg

That looks like a heck of a big job.

First one I ever used was its older line-shaft-conversion baby brother. It was not 'til much later I was allowed onto the larger "Milwaukee" (K&T) next on the line.

Horizontals. Gotta love 'em.

Only word they know is "EAT!!!"

The rest is up to the mill hand.

And then they do exactly that... crunch-crunch-crunch-crunch-crunch.....

Mouse-nibble yer tiny-whiney R8 heart out, BirdPorts...

:D

It is looking like its not going to take as much time as I thought to get it working, after that I can work more on the details as I use the machine.
I was happy with what I saw under the rust in the photo above, after pushing a little off with a carbide scraper. The rest of the machine has chunky items like the way overbuilt chain drive with clutch.
I am going to knock the rust off the knee/saddle first, get that moving.
And another load of salvage machines rolls in, one moves out.
SGaBPL0.jpg

Got the oil and dirt off the tag, I thought it was the light model.
J5c1u4g.jpg

It has a war board tag, and with the Hanford tag above. The ser# is 5754, with a separate feed motor on the knee for feeds, and location of the coolant pump, seems to place the machine 1944-45 and likely was a new machine at the nuclear reservation.
Suz91lo.jpg

Last edited:
It is looking like its not going to take as much time as I thought to get it working, after that I can work more on the details as I use the machine.
I was happy with what I saw under the rust in the photo above, after pushing a little off with a carbide scraper. The rest of the machine has chunky items like the way overbuilt chain drive with clutch.
I am going to knock the rust off the knee/saddle first, get that moving.

Big job, and sore messy, but ....it's got a lot of large, flat, areas.

This is one I'd be for masking all the tags, then trying-out the soda-blast gear I've had put by for some years but not yet found a good match to a need for.

Soda-blast first, any residue comes out as part of the finer detail work, wasn't as risky as grit to begin with. Also got walnut shells and plastic media, plus one of those small-zone "air-brush" size guns. Great for inside corners and similar complex shapes.

But still. Soda has a good rep. Surely gentler than a needle-scaler yah don't seem to need!

:)

Mind, I'm too old and already messed-up to much give a damn about leaded paint risk. Over worried about? Dunno. But modest precautions against the harm of them aren't all that complex nor expensive.

2CW

Getting this machine situated, and with a pallet jack to move it around. I took about 30 minutes and scraped the rust off the dovetail, the metal looks good and shows the original scraping, now I will relieve some of the weight of the table with straps and a hoist, loosen the gib, and move the saddle over the clean area. Then, scrape the rust on the knee behind the table. It looks at that rate perhaps 8 hrs to de rust the ways and column way and face.
CFVEZkd.jpg

The machine has low hours, one of the indicators of that is the condition of items that can get beat up like the feed dial and the knurled rings, all still crisp looking.
I7eMBWr.jpg

Back