Vertical head on No2 B&S Mill - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The vertical head has a tag saying "use little grease" thankfully the attachment was completely full of grease saving the bearings from water damage.
    The attachment is a #10, serial# 54, It appears it was a short lived item, not appearing in any publication I have found. The later sliding head mills did the functions probably better.
    The attachment seems to run smooth, but the bad taper socket will only work if the tool holder is over tightened, so I should fix that first before testing it cutting metal.

The quill feed is just an acme screw, with a bronze block attached to the quill. The feed screw is off center, there is a missing adjustable quill stop on the other side of it.

The back side showing the splined end of the spindle, the drive gear is supported by a pair of Timken bearings. The spindle itself has type O Timkens with a definite pre-load.

The rough looking metal down in there, is the upper part of the quill cut away for gear clearance.

2. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!

The crank on the quill doesn't look vintage.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like something made at Hanford, From what I Have seen on other similar heads is more of a large knurled knob. And that is something I will do, if the head is moved much at all, the crank hits the heavy bracket.
    I was checking out, extending the head out to the end of the splined driver, checking tram, then pulling the head all the way back, and checking again. The head slides about 8", and when extended it goes several thou out from its weight on the 3 1/2" overarms, over 200lbs.

5. Likes Cal Haines liked this post