What's new
What's new

VN 1-R3-22 for sale, Southeast

Mike C.

Diamond
Hey folks, I am about to give up my VN 1R3 to make room for another machine. May 1961 production. It's in good condition, pretty tight. Drools oil, but don't they all? No horrendous leaks, just typical. Feed gearbox drive was reworked and re-sealed a few years back with the drive shaft welded up and ground back down slick from grooves worn by the hard seals. All speeds work, all feeds work. No strange noises, great running machine. Not repainted or anything, original "patina".

Wired for 220V3ph, but also includes another set of heaters for 440V3ph, if you decide to go that route. 40NMTB taper in the spindle. No arbor support, unfortunately, but will come with some tooling, as determined by the sale price. Incoming machine will also be 40NMTB, so no point selling stuff I need to buy again, but new one also has tooling so no need for duplicates. Let's start at $800.

Only real issue is that it is the only known METRIC VN 1R3 I have ever seen or heard of. All screws and dials are metric, as well as the table feed gearbox. No huge deal, just multiply your inch measurement by 25.4 to convert.

Will post some pics in a little while or email detail pics if anybody is interested. Posting here before going to classifieds.

Forgot to add, this machine has a universal table.

Mike,

Sad to see you leave the ranks of 1R owners, and thanks again for the help you've given other VN owners. What is coming along to prompt you to give up both your VNs? Feel free to point me to another thread if there's something I missed.

Ben

2RQ-3-28 coming in! I'm going to sell one of three machines in my shop, the 1R, the 2G or the old Fosdick radial drill. I just have no room. The 1R is totally redundant to the 2RQ. Whichever sells first is the deal.

2RQ-3-28 coming in! I'm going to sell one of three machines in my shop, the 1R, the 2G or the old Fosdick radial drill. I just have no room. The 1R is totally redundant to the 2RQ. Whichever sells first is the deal.

Nice!! That's going to be a great machine - quill, bigger table, more X-Y travels, 3-axis powerfeeds with rapids :drool5:

"I saw that after I asked where it was... Sorry..."

Not a problem.

"Nice!! That's going to be a great machine - quill, bigger table, more X-Y travels, 3-axis powerfeeds with rapids "

I had always said the only thing I would replace my 1R with was a 1RQ. I loved the 1R, but was very annoyed that it only had a table feed like my VN12. I had gotten spoiled on the VN22L at the museum with three axis knee and then got the Cincy horizontal at work with the 3axis and the Cincy vertical with three axis knee, plus the head feed. When I saw the 2RQ for sale, I flipped. Not only a 3 axis machine, but one with a quill with feed, PLUS... instead of NMTB30 taper in the spindle like a 1RQ, it has a 40 taper spindle. Slightly bigger table, bigger work envelope, higher spindle speeds... I could not resist.

I had always said the only thing I would replace my 1R with was a 1RQ. I loved the 1R, but was very annoyed that it only had a table feed like my VN12. I had gotten spoiled on the VN22L at the museum with three axis knee and then got the Cincy horizontal at work with the 3axis and the Cincy vertical with three axis knee, plus the head feed. When I saw the 2RQ for sale, I flipped. Not only a 3 axis machine, but one with a quill with feed, PLUS... instead of NMTB30 taper in the spindle like a 1RQ, it has a 40 taper spindle. Slightly bigger table, bigger work envelope, higher spindle speeds... I could not resist.

You've forgiven of getting rid of the VN 1-R3-22

Paolo

Back