VN 1-R3-22 for sale, Southeast
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6617
    Likes (Received)
    2561

    Default VN 1-R3-22 for sale, Southeast

    Hey folks, I am about to give up my VN 1R3 to make room for another machine. May 1961 production. It's in good condition, pretty tight. Drools oil, but don't they all? No horrendous leaks, just typical. Feed gearbox drive was reworked and re-sealed a few years back with the drive shaft welded up and ground back down slick from grooves worn by the hard seals. All speeds work, all feeds work. No strange noises, great running machine. Not repainted or anything, original "patina".

    Wired for 220V3ph, but also includes another set of heaters for 440V3ph, if you decide to go that route. 40NMTB taper in the spindle. No arbor support, unfortunately, but will come with some tooling, as determined by the sale price. Incoming machine will also be 40NMTB, so no point selling stuff I need to buy again, but new one also has tooling so no need for duplicates. Let's start at $800.

    Only real issue is that it is the only known METRIC VN 1R3 I have ever seen or heard of. All screws and dials are metric, as well as the table feed gearbox. No huge deal, just multiply your inch measurement by 25.4 to convert.

    Will post some pics in a little while or email detail pics if anybody is interested. Posting here before going to classifieds.

    Forgot to add, this machine has a universal table.

  2. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    265
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    When you say Southeast, do you have a state? I might be interested if it's close enough?

    Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6617
    Likes (Received)
    2561

    Default

    Birmingham, AL, as in my profile. Quite a haul from Connecticut.

  5. Likes michael.kitko liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    Mike,

    Sad to see you leave the ranks of 1R owners, and thanks again for the help you've given other VN owners. What is coming along to prompt you to give up both your VNs? Feel free to point me to another thread if there's something I missed.

    Ben

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6617
    Likes (Received)
    2561

    Default

    2RQ-3-28 coming in! I'm going to sell one of three machines in my shop, the 1R, the 2G or the old Fosdick radial drill. I just have no room. The 1R is totally redundant to the 2RQ. Whichever sells first is the deal.

  8. Likes thebencarter liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
    2RQ-3-28 coming in! I'm going to sell one of three machines in my shop, the 1R, the 2G or the old Fosdick radial drill. I just have no room. The 1R is totally redundant to the 2RQ. Whichever sells first is the deal.
    Nice!! That's going to be a great machine - quill, bigger table, more X-Y travels, 3-axis powerfeeds with rapids

  10. Likes Mike C. liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    265
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
    Birmingham, AL, as in my profile. Quite a haul from Connecticut.
    I saw that after I asked where it was... Sorry...

    Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

  12. Likes Mike C. liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6617
    Likes (Received)
    2561

    Default

    "I saw that after I asked where it was... Sorry..."

    Not a problem.

    "Nice!! That's going to be a great machine - quill, bigger table, more X-Y travels, 3-axis powerfeeds with rapids "

    I had always said the only thing I would replace my 1R with was a 1RQ. I loved the 1R, but was very annoyed that it only had a table feed like my VN12. I had gotten spoiled on the VN22L at the museum with three axis knee and then got the Cincy horizontal at work with the 3axis and the Cincy vertical with three axis knee, plus the head feed. When I saw the 2RQ for sale, I flipped. Not only a 3 axis machine, but one with a quill with feed, PLUS... instead of NMTB30 taper in the spindle like a 1RQ, it has a 40 taper spindle. Slightly bigger table, bigger work envelope, higher spindle speeds... I could not resist.

  14. Likes Paolo_MD, thebencarter liked this post
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Damascus, MD
    Posts
    1,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4229
    Likes (Received)
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
    ...
    I had always said the only thing I would replace my 1R with was a 1RQ. I loved the 1R, but was very annoyed that it only had a table feed like my VN12. I had gotten spoiled on the VN22L at the museum with three axis knee and then got the Cincy horizontal at work with the 3axis and the Cincy vertical with three axis knee, plus the head feed. When I saw the 2RQ for sale, I flipped. Not only a 3 axis machine, but one with a quill with feed, PLUS... instead of NMTB30 taper in the spindle like a 1RQ, it has a 40 taper spindle. Slightly bigger table, bigger work envelope, higher spindle speeds... I could not resist.
    You've forgiven of getting rid of the VN 1-R3-22

    Paolo

  16. Likes thebencarter, Mike C. liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •