VN 12 5c to jacobs taper for drill chuck.
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default VN 12 5c to jacobs taper for drill chuck.

For drilling small holes on the VN 12, I am limited to finding a lot of odd collets, or using a drill chuck with 1/2" straight shank in a 1/2" VN collet.

I have a couple spare blanks made up from 1144 stress proof, with the VN taper , threads, keyway and drive lugs already cut- I am thinking about putting one on the the lathe and turning a Jacobs taper for a drill chuck.

Any advice on this, like what size drill chuck to use and what Jacobs taper to turn? I don't know a thing about the Jacobs taper,angle, size, etc, except that they fit drill chucks.

Is there a size chart around for the Jacobs taper?
    Any brand of moderately price chucks ya'll like? (moderate-$75-$200)

Thanks, Stoneaxe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Jacobs taper dimensions are in the Machinery's Handbook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were VN OE collet-like adapters that had an inner Morse Taper #2, which would allow you to then have multiple MT2 inter-adapters for different Jacobs chuck sizes. Downside would be that you would have one more intermediate interface to contribute to 'tolerance stacking.'

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Frankly, you're better off using a center drill in a collet to locate the holes, then drill the holes on a drill press. By the time you put a chuck and a drill of any size in a Van Norman, you have very little space for the part. Especially if you're using a vise.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    Frankly, you're better off using a center drill in a collet to locate the holes, then drill the holes on a drill press. By the time you put a chuck and a drill of any size in a Van Norman, you have very little space for the part. Especially if you're using a vise.

Cal
    Cal, I can see that working well if the part is simple and easy to re-index- and I get the part about the vn having little clearance under the head. For horizontal drilling it is not too bad, as the ram can be retracted.

I am actually rethinking this once more, and considering using a VN5C to ER 20 setup, to shorten the chuck length. I will probably buy a set of screw machine length drills also.
    I called Hardinge today to see if they would make one, as they are all set up for collets, they must have the dimensions. Or maybe use a ER20 to 5/8" straight, I have a very short 5/8" VN endmill holder it could go in.
    Just playing around with ways to hold smaller drills, etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another option is to make a 5C to MT2 adapter and buy a set of MT2 collets. You can get a set on Amazon for $42 (link). That would also allow you to use an MT2-shank ER chuck.

Cal