What's new
What's new

VN #12 Motor starter issue

deker

Plastic
Hey all,

I've got a VN #12 that had previously been being run from a static phase converter that was just wired to the load side of the motor starter (not the best setup in a number of ways) that I just got around to running proper 3ph from my rotary converter to. All of the starting electrics are stock, and in pretty good shape, with one exception. After moving things around so that the starter was back in the game, I noted that the machine would start fine, but that the starter coil didn't like to disengage consistently. Long story short, the coil on the old mag starter is dying, and has some pretty roasted insulation on the wiring. My local motor shop said they were surprised it was still working based on just looking at it. They can wind me a new coil, but I'm looking at 3-4 weeks and $300-400 since they have to deconstruct the old one to count the windings.

So, I'm wondering if anybody here happens to have a parts machine, or old electrics from a #12 with a good coil they'd be willing to part with. The coil ON is "T6503 A5D1". I'd like to keep things as original as I can, but I need to get the machine running again. Based on the wiring diagram, I *THINK* I may be able to swap a more modern starter into the bottom of the box and keep the spindle direction switch and the coolant/feed switches,etc in place. I'm working on going over diagrams to be sure and then I'll dig around and see what I have for motor starters. I know I'd prefer not to have to rebuild the entire control setup with modern parts.

Here's the coil I've got:

old_coil.jpg

The complete original setup:

starter_electrics.jpg

And the diagram:

electrical_diagram.jpg

I'm also open to any ideas from folks who have dealt with similar situations. I like the old stuff because it's still solid and repairable, but I can't even find a reference to this coil from Trumbull online, much less fine an old stock part.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-d

I dug around in the "pile" and came up with an Allen-Bradley starter that looks like it will fit the bill (and the available space). I think I've got all of the wiring right, now I just need to order up properly sized heaters. There's no need for a VFD since I have a large rotary converter and 3ph distribution for the shop (which this is now wired into). I'm going to get some heaters, double check everything against the diagram and see if I can keep the magic smoke in.

The old starter will go into a box and maybe someday if I have too much time or too much money I'll get that coil re-wound just so things are "original" again. More than likely it will just sit in a box until doomsday though. :)

Back