What's new
What's new

VN No 36 overarm support brackets, and other VN arbor supports

texasgeartrain

Titanium
If anyone here won a VN No 36 at a Houston auction this week. I have the overarm support bracket, won in a different lot. PM me if you want it. The listing for the No 36:

Van Norman Model 36 Universal Milling Machine, 14" x 64" table, 36" table long. trvl, 13" cross t

The Mill:
298.jpg

An example of one overarm support bracket here:

297.jpg

The lot I won:
https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/au...0033/lot-bcc06c63-5852-4325-9c8a-adfa00021df0

There's two support brackets here. One is for this No 36, the other has a dovetail cut on one side. Plus I walked the one over to the machine and checked, it fits and match arbor supports:
299.jpg

I also left my contact info with the auction people to pass on the winner of the mill, but you know how these things go.

There were no other VN mills there, but I also ended up with some arbor supports for what I think are for a VN 22L or M. But I'm not a VN expert. If anyone needs those you can PM me.

301.jpg 300.jpg 302.jpg

I was going to ask $200 plus shipping on all 4 pieces, the 3 arbor supports, plus the square piece that looks like it belongs.

There were no other VN mills there, but I also ended up with some arbor supports for what I think are for a VN 22L or M. But I'm not a VN expert. If anyone needs those you can PM me.

View attachment 337119 View attachment 337118 View attachment 337120

I was going to ask $200 plus shipping on all 4 pieces, the 3 arbor supports, plus the square piece that looks like it belongs.

The two middle cast ones are for a VN 12, I believe. And they are very hard to find.
Although they were bored and serialized to a particular machine, they can be rebored fairly easily to center for the spindle.

It's almost certain that brace will fit VN #26s as well as #36s. Possibly the other models with box ways on the saddle. The saddles with a box way on one side and a dovetail on the other, I tried to figure out when they made those, and gave up thinking it must have been a transitional thing that was not reliably reflected in the model number. Seemed like the #22/#24 time frame, but definitely not all of those models.

I've attached some photos of the brace from my #28A. I'd be interested to hear how the dimensions differ from the #26 brace, if at all. Apparently I didn't take the dimensions of the saddle ways. We could compare those, too.

Attachments

• outboard_brace_2.jpg
    outboard_brace_2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 34
  • outboard_brace_1.jpg
    outboard_brace_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 37
  • outboard_brace_clamp.jpg
    outboard_brace_clamp.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 34
Hi,
I'm interested in the support. I believe it is the correct one for my model VN 24.

I had a model 22 support that fit the knee of my mill perfectly. The VN model 22 support looks identical except for the height. The base with the dovetail is the same.

It's almost certain that brace will fit VN #26s as well as #36s. Possibly the other models with box ways on the saddle. The saddles with a box way on one side and a dovetail on the other, I tried to figure out when they made those, and gave up thinking it must have been a transitional thing that was not reliably reflected in the model number. Seemed like the #22/#24 time frame, but definitely not all of those models.

I've attached some photos of the brace from my #28A. I'd be interested to hear how the dimensions differ from the #26 brace, if at all. Apparently I didn't take the dimensions of the saddle ways. We could compare those, too.

Apologies to sfriedberg and gi_984. With the holidays and other stuff going on, I've been a bit tied up.

I first will reply to sfriedberg's specs in comparision.

In his pic number two, the 5" width, and the 1/2" bolt slot are the same on both the overarm supports I have.

On the support with box ways. My slot is 22" verse 25" of sfriedberg's. And I'm measuring 32" on the dimension that sfriedberg has 35".

On the support with one dovetail: The slot is 25 3/4". And I measure 33 3/4" from the top of dovetail to the top of support.

sfriedberg's pic #3 dimensions are identical to my box way style.

Now just to look at the pic and other dimensions I measured.

Here's a pic of the two styles:

351.jpg

On this post I will show dimensions for the one sided dovetail version.

I didn't realize the tape measure was blocking the view, but the top/long portion of dovetail is 9 7/8"

357.jpg

The short portion of dovetail is just over 9", at about 9 1/16".

359.jpg

I measure 1 1/16" here, but with the lock out of the way, I believe it clamps to 1":

358.jpg

This support I know fits a No 36. This is the box way type I have.

I slipped while holding the tape and camera :D, but this should read 32":

352.jpg

The top of box is 5 3/4":

353.jpg

The length to the next step is 1 1/4":

354.jpg

The long portion is 13 3/4":

356.jpg

And as mentioned in the other post, 1" to the lock:

355.jpg

texasgunsmith,

The support with the dovetail is definitely too tall to be for a model 22. I have a template I drew of the support from a model 22. And it is much shorter OAL than the one you have. And the slot is shorter as well.
I believe you have a model 24 support based on my measurements. I would be interested purchasing.

I also have a box style VN support similar to yours. I'll have to dig it out next time I'm in the shop to confirm dimensions. Is either for a model 26 or 36.

Last edited:
I wonder if the "A" in model 28A accounts for the 3" additional height... I will have to look in my VN owner's manual for the 28/38 series.

Dug out the "box style" knee support I have and measured.
I bought this support and a universal subhead from a machinist who had a few other VN items. All were painted the same color. Was told he acquired these from a machine that was being scrapped. The prefix is 26 on the serial number tag of the subhead. Hence I assumed this support was for a model 26.
The measurements sfriedberg posted are identical to mine.
Appears at least these outer supports are the same between the VN 26 and 28As?

Back