What's new
What's new

Weight of Gisholt saddle type turret lathes

Biolog

Aluminum
I was wondering if anyone had a spec sheet or information on the weight of the Gisholt 3L and 4L series lathes. Not the masterline square head types, the older generation. Maybe John O. has a clue here? :scratchchin: Thanks.
PS: I guess I wouldnt mind knowing the weight of the newer generation also!

I was wondering if anyone had a spec sheet or information on the weight of the Gisholt 3L and 4L series lathes. Not the masterline square head types, the older generation. Maybe John O. has a clue here? :scratchchin: Thanks.
PS: I guess I wouldnt mind knowing the weight of the newer generation also!

As of 1930 the 2L was up to 7400

3L up to 12000

5L over 20K

Apologies on absent 4L

Thanks John! Do you happen to know what a 4L would be? Maybe 16-18K?

Found a hiding page - 4L was 18,500 -with 25 HP and thru holes to 10 1/2" and 12 1/4" - pub dated August 1929

If you decide that is what you are looking at, I'll see about scanning these dozen pages on the 3L and 4L for you

Here is the "spec" page for what is worth. You may realize this August 1929 time frame was right up against the great wall street crash - makes me wonder how much advertising got done in following years

Check out the 1929 style top speed

20210420_082537.jpg

Thanks for taking the trouble to find this and post it! Very informative to me. I was surprised to see the difference in the spindle through hole between the 3 and 4L. I need to do some checking on my end regarding spindle speeds. Yes, these were not exactly speed demons. Do you happen to know if these machines used plain sleeve spindle bearings? Or if they did, when they switched over to a roller spindle bearing?

Thanks for taking the trouble to find this and post it! Very informative to me. I was surprised to see the difference in the spindle through hole between the 3 and 4L. I need to do some checking on my end regarding spindle speeds. Yes, these were not exactly speed demons. Do you happen to know if these machines used plain sleeve spindle bearings? Or if they did, when they switched over to a roller spindle bearing?

A bit of detail on spindle circa 1930. As was common even on smaller lathes of that period, the shafts making the spindle go were on ball or roller bearings while the spindle itself was on PLAIN bearings, meaning Bronze or Babbitt style - and this was especially true of the larger thru holes

20210421_071156.jpg

Last edited:

Back