What's new
What's new

Weight of Kearney and Trecker 10HP-2CK horizontal mill

Tatertots

Plastic
I have a K & T 3B plain that is supposed to go 6600# and feels like it. It is plenty heavy and bulky, and a I had wanted something a bit smaller as shop space is precious. Saw a 10HP-2CK and figured I would bid on it as it would be smaller than the old 3B and more modern (than 1915). Found a weight for a 2CH at 4200#, and mistakenly assumed the 2CK would be similar. Further research shows the 2CK may be over 8k. This one doesn't appear to have the slanting table that I see on other 2CK machines advertised. My machinery lifted the 6600# 3B, but I will need to plan something bigger for lifting the machine off my trailer at home if it is really over 8,000#. Anyone know actual weight? It has the vertical head attachment with only one 90 so it points downward... not the double 90 degree version. No dividing head. Thanks for the help.

With the K&Ts a K or CK is always one size larger than is corresponding H or CH model. So a 2CK will be the same body size as a 3CH. A non swivel table is a "Plain" and the swivel table is a "Universal". You could get each model either way. The book value for a 10HP 2CK Plain is 8200 lbs. Table size should be 13-1/2 x 56 inches.

With the K&Ts a K or CK is always one size larger than is corresponding H or CH model. So a 2CK will be the same body size as a 3CH. A non swivel table is a "Plain" and the swivel table is a "Universal". You could get each model either way. The book value for a 10HP 2CK Plain is 8200 lbs. Table size should be 13-1/2 x 56 inches.
Why did they do that?

Programmed via Mazatrol

So they got double mileage from at least the largest castings

For instance - a 2K column casting pattern - with a few minor tweaks at the pattern shop - made a 3H column casting

Could it have been a marketing gimmick for rear controls?

Maybe they made them but I’ve never seen a “K” without rear controls or an “H” with them. As far as I know, my 3CH with rear controls and a 2K are identical machines.

Thank you very much for the good information. The machine I was looking at has very little information regarding its operating condition and would be "as is where is" based on the dozen pictures provided... so potentially four tons of scrap to road trip home. I let this one go, and will look for a 2 series in the H model or a 1? series in the K model. Always something to learn here!

Back