What's new
What's new

What can I learn from a Hendey serial number?

lapoole

Plastic
I'm looking at a 12x30 numbered 29837. If anyone can tell me what records indicate for this serial number, I'd really appreciate it! The seller has dementia and his family only knows he purchased it from a local high school shop.

BadgeSmall.jpg

12x30.jpg

SerialNumber.jpg

Hendeyman still works for a living, but if he drops by for a visit and has the time, maybe he will comment.

Appears to be about 1938. Could be 12 or 18 speed gearhead or even a cone head

Is there any other way to learn what serial number can tell me? I'm concerned my sellers will stop waiting for me, so I'd like to go back to assess the lathe soon and make an offer.

It's a 12x30 gear head, which I gather means 18 speed?

I'm reading up here and preparing an assessment checklist, which I'll post in case it's useful to others and in case others can suggest additions/refinements.

Hendeyman has the records. Without those, you just have a general date it was built as I posted above

You could help your "noticeability" by reposting in the Antique section where Hendeyman would look first

1938 gearheads could be 12 or 18 speeds, A quick way to ascertain which can be done from a photo - a 12 will not have an oil sight glass related to QC gearbox and an 18 will

Is there any other way to learn what serial number can tell me? I'm concerned my sellers will stop waiting for me, so I'd like to go back to assess the lathe soon and make an offer.

It's a 12x30 gear head, which I gather means 18 speed?

I'm reading up here and preparing an assessment checklist, which I'll post in case it's useful to others and in case others can suggest additions/refinements.

a 12 will not have an oil sight glass related to QC gearbox and an 18 will

A 12 speed will also not have the cross slide quick retract mechanism. It will have a horizontal spindle speed chart where an 18 speed will have a vertical spindle speed chart.

Hendeyman has the records. Without those, you just have a general date it was built as I posted above
You could help your "noticeability" by reposting in the Antique section where Hendeyman would look first

OK thanks. Moved it to here.

Back