What's new
What's new

What can a K&T Autometric do that a universal mill can't ?

Spud

Diamond
Brought my Autometric Model B home yesterday. 1st picture is from shop I bought it from.

Autometric-transport-pic-2.jpg

Autometric-transport-pic-10.jpg

Autometric-transport-pic-12.jpg

Autometric-transport-pic-13.jpg

--

I needed weight and dimensioins of machine, thanks to Rkepler for emailing me the brochure / manual , which had the Dimensions and weight was around 5000 lbs. I thought the machine was 3000lbs when I bought it. Couldn't find weight info for the Model B online.

Operator's manual has instructions on running the machine. So if any one needs a copy, let me know.

What can this machine do that a decent universal milling machine can't ? My Abene will do horizontal milling, with the headstock sliding back and diagonally.

What can this machine do that a decent universal milling machine can't ? My Abene will do horizontal milling, with the headstock sliding back and diagonally.

Its a Jig Bore class spindle. So that means it can reliably bore holes that are a higher class than a mill would do. I'll shoot the pages from Catalog KT 57 and include them in an edit tomorrow

Their description by the way is Precision Boring Machine

Here you go:

20210617_074512.jpg20210617_074620.jpg

Last edited:
The table should spin 360 degrees for one thing, I know a universal can't. It probably has a bit more y travel. Do those have a quill? that would be another big upgrade from a universal. I sure wish there were more boring mill type machines in this size.

The table should spin 360 degrees for one thing, I know a universal can't. It probably has a bit more y travel. Do those have a quill? that would be another big upgrade from a universal. I sure wish there were more boring mill type machines in this size.

It doesn't have a drawbar.

The operator's manual also has a section on lubrication. I can scan or copy and mail either manual for anyone that needs one.

Machine looks nicer in person than the pics. Ways are good. Table moves and rotates smoothly. Head moves smoothly.

Its a Jig Bore class spindle. So that means it can reliably bore holes that are a higher class than a mill would do. I'll shoot the pages from Catalog KT 57 and include them in an edit tomorrow

Their description by the way is Precision Boring Machine

Were these made in Milwaukee or at Autometric in California?

So is this machine usefull for a automotive engine work? Can it drill accurate concentric long holes like a gun-drill ?

Its a small travel machine. I think even a small 4 cylinder would be to large for the machine.

Did you buy the Rivett as well?

Its a small travel machine. I think even a small 4 cylinder would be to large for the machine.

Did you buy the Rivett as well?

Yes, the Rivett I bought last summer. The Abene I bought in Jan 2020. All from different States. All 3 machines are in a rental storage place.

The Autometric is ideal for any situation where you have to machine something like a head for a rotary aircraft engine. I have done that yet but for the work I've done it runs very nicely, smooth and strong.

The spindle (no quill) is the old 40 NST that's retained by a nut coming in from the front (K&T called it a quick change). I adapted a 40 NMTB quick change holder for a Marlin PDQ quick change. Both the VS and S sizes, so I'm pretty well tooled up.

On mine someone removed the coolant pump and setup (filling in the holes and everything) so one of these days I'm going to restore that. But I do have to pull the gearbox and resolve a couple of annoyances first - the fine speed adjust doesn't work and the transition from low to high has a loose gear or something, gets some grinding. Gonna be a PITA, I need to pull 5 shafts before it'll back out and I'm pretty sure I need to block it up high to get under for some of the work. May as well do the power and plumbing for the coolant pump at the same time... Anyone have a spare Gusher 3P3-S?

Supposing I was to turn my own tool holders , does it need to be heat treated ?

Other than radial aero engines, is this usefull for other automotive engine work? Like say an Italian V8 or V12 or small block American V8s?

What about deep hole drilling / gun drilling ? Not something long like a rifle barrell but for smaller barrels?

I presume I can not do light milling ?

Supposing I was to turn my own tool holders , does it need to be heat treated ?

It kind of depends on what the toolholder is for, etc. I've made toolholders for the PDQ for holding boring heads and the like and gotten good service. But they're not being put in and taken out all the time, plus I made them from 4140PH.

Other than radial aero engines, is this usefull for other automotive engine work? Like say an Italian V8 or V12 or small block American V8s?

Not sure what the weight limit for the rotary table might be. But more than likely the 16" diameter is going to be the limit for most of that work.

What about deep hole drilling / gun drilling ? Not something long like a rifle barrell but for smaller barrels?

15" travel makes for a short bore.

I presume I can not do light milling ?

I plan on it, the spindle is certainly beefy enough for it.

Your Model B Horizontal Autometric was made by K & T at their plant in West Allis, WI. It is a precision boring machine that is capable of doing light milling.

I have a Horizontal Autometric that has round ways and was built in California. Again, it is a precision boring machine that can do light milling.

Mine is adapted to use R-8 tool holders and collets, NMTB 40 taper tool holders, and K & T No. 40 taper tooling. Earlier this year, I posted a thread showing photos of the different tooling that can be used on my Autometric.

The advantage of the Autometric over a Universal Mill is the ability to rotate the table 360 degrees so you have access to four-plus (4+) work surfaces. The closest comparison, although in a much larger scale, is a DeVlieg Jig Bore. Our Jig Bores were mainly used to finish bore the spindle bore and gear lines, plus finish mill the Tycoway bearing pockets.

I like your machine better than mine, but these are rare machines. I ran a vertical Autometric during my apprenticeship. It was an easy to operate precision machine.

Good luck and enjoy machining with your K & T Model B.

I think you should sell me that K&T.

Adh2000 has first dibs. He lives close by so came and saw it. He was actually thinking of bidding on it but then decided he had too much stuff. But then he saw my machine and liked it, and said if I ever wanted to sell it he was interested.

No plans on selling it for now. I have a real weakness for such small analog machine tools, finding them really neat. Can't use it at the moment since I don't have a place to run any of my machines.

Adh2000 has first dibs. He lives close by so came and saw it. He was actually thinking of bidding on it but then decided he had too much stuff. But then he saw my machine and liked it, and said if I ever wanted to sell it he was interested.

No plans on selling it for now. I have a real weakness for such small analog machine tools, finding them really neat. Can't use it at the moment since I don't have a place to run any of my machines.
OK, what about now? :)

Pretty sure if you don’t know what the machine is for - you need to send it my way!
What a beauty!
I ll throw my name in the hat when your ready to let it go!

Back