What is this electrical thing on the back of my Hydrashift?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What is this electrical thing on the back of my Hydrashift?

Finished changing the oil and filter and got all the wiring cleaned up inside the rear cabinet, and I noticed this thing attached to the bed right above the motor, below the chuck. It is connected to fuse 2 (was the the light switch on the end above the end gears) What ever it is it growls and blows a 3 amp fuse. It's in a really awkward to get to spot, it looks like it has been there since it was made, could it be a fan? If so why? It's not on the electrical drawings or in the manual.

Thoughts? Anyone else have it mounted on their lathe?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_6847.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kilohertz View Post
    Finished changing the oil and filter and got all the wiring cleaned up inside the rear cabinet, and I noticed this thing attached to the bed right above the motor, below the chuck. It is connected to fuse 2 (was the the light switch on the end above the end gears) What ever it is it growls and blows a 3 amp fuse. It's in a really awkward to get to spot, it looks like it has been there since it was made, could it be a fan? If so why? It's not on the electrical drawings or in the manual.

Thanks!
    I think if there were more chips there it would make any guess at all viable.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kilohertz View Post

Thanks!
    Resembles a vintage bowl rest for swarf stew chilli, economy "blue bowl special" size, wartime rations, and abused by a careless eater.

WTF?

Clean it up!!!

"You know you want to!"

It might even have markings on it...

If it says:

FRONT

TOWARD ENEMY

I'm wrong. Just call EOD.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks to me like you have the remains of the factory optional worklight, which was wired into the 120v control circuit. The bowl thing appears to be the cord reel that automatically payed out and retracted the wire to the light, which was mounted on and moved with the carriage.

If it is the cord reel and you don't want it, I'd be interested in buying it. And the worklight, if you still have that, too.

The first two images below are from the factory Hydrashift catalog T-230-2 of April 1962, showing the optional worklight, and the last image is the factory wiring diagram for my Hydrashift, which shows the optional light at the bottom of the 120v control circuit:

Attachment 259617 Attachment 259618 Attachment 259619

5. Likes kilohertz liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Elwood1968, you are right! Thank you again for your help.

The links didn't work for me but I found the catalog you mentioned and found the picture of the work light, that's it. Cool. I was shopping for a work light for it yesterday and found a nice LUXO clamp on style lamp, pretty standard type lamp. I was going to mount it on the electrical cabinet as there is already a hole drilled in the top for ???, but now I think I will try to resurrect the original unit. It will have to wait until I move the lathe again as it is now too close to the wall to get to.

Thanks for your help. If I decide not to use it, it's yours.

Cheers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice that you have that optional worklight reel. They're hard to find. When you've got it wired up and working, please post some photos.

Not sure what the hole looks like on the top of your electrical cabinet, but almost all of the used lathes I looked at before I bought my Hydrashift had a knockout-sized hole drilled in the top of the cabinet for an electrical feed via flexible cord and twist-lock plug. Must be easier than hard conduit or Liquidtite if the machine needed to be moved.