What's new
What's new

Z feed slower than others...

jkilroy

Diamond
Is it normal that the Z feed, on the knee, would be slower than the other axis? On my big K&T (415 S-15) the X & Y axis feed at the rate set but the Z seems to be a lot slower. The machine is well lubed and doesn't seem to be laboring so I don't think its the weight of the knee, though considerable. I was just wondering if maybe this was be design.

Most likely the design. The knee on my #4 Cincinnati feeds at 1/16" per revolution, the table and saddle at 1/4". The knee screw on the Cincinnati is moving 5000+ LBS.
One way you should be able to tell is to look at the micrometer dial.
Harry

The knee probably needs a heck of a lot more power to move than the other axis. I'm guessing it's just geared a lot lower so the motor won't have to work its @ss off to move it up and down. The weight of the knee is being pulled down by gravity. The table is supported by the knee/ways. So, it's just sliding back and forth while the knee is being lifted. Does that make sense? I guess it's why the cranks for knees are always much longer than for X & Y. Gotta get that leverage!

Harry, 1:4 is probably exactly the ratio, I'll measure this weekend to confirm. I'd just like to know what it is so I could compute exact feeds when boring or drilling.

Ions82, you are so right, got to love leverage. Though I must admit that my 415 is so well designed that cranking the knee up on it is no harder, and actually maybe easier, then the knee on my Hurco Bridgeport clone. This is something when you consider that the knee on my 415 weighs more than the entire Hurco, and by quite a bit.

Jkilroy- I envy you and your 415! If I could find a nice big K&T that someone wasn't trying to retire off of, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Every one I've seen at the dealers goes easily above 10K with the nicer ones close to 20K. Nice machines.

I have the manuals for my K&T 2CH and I will double check but I believe that on a #2 it is 1:2

If I can get a book from my buddy after christmas I will see what it says on the bigger machines.

Happy Holidays to all

Doug Baker
US Machine

I have four K&T mills.1H universal/horizontal,2HL universal/horizontal,2HL vertical,and 3CH with the automatic table feature.The Z axis on all of them is 1/8" per revolution and the X,Y are all 1/4"per revolution.

Back