What's new
What's new

0TC CP9A board question

alphonso

Titanium
Been nearly a year since I looked at this machine. Keep getting alarm on Z servo drive, OC I think.. Interesting that sometimes the green light would also be on.

Not hooked to power at the moment. I had noticed a descrepancy when I last looked at it but didn't take the time to try to figure it out. Upper set of sockets are labeled on the board as M38, left, M35, right. Lower sockets are labeled M39, left, M36, right. The M35 and M36 cables are swapped. Is there any reason this would have been done on purpose? According to the MTB schematics these cables come from/go to pulse coders that are on the axis screws, not the pulse coders on the servo motors.

DSCF0971.jpg

????????????????

M35 should go to a scale or ballscrew mounted encoder on the X axis. M36 should go the the encoder on the X axis servo motor. You should trace those cables and verify where they go. You need to check because I've seen cable ID labels that are on the connector cover and the covers have been put back on the wrong connector after troubleshooting or repairs. M35 and M36 are for the X axis so your Z trouble is not likely related.

Since it is not under power for a year you have to hope that your batteries are good or you have a good backup of the parameters.

What first caught my attention was the differences in the cables themselves. On near identical machine, the cables with the black sleeves are plugged into the M39/M36 sockets.
Will trace the cable routing before firing up. Batteries were new when I was there last. Knock on wood, they still have some juice left.
DSCF0972.jpgDSCF0973.jpg

Machine was moved to my shop first of January and we have been too busy to sort this thing out. Got a few days to mess with it while waiting on material.

Yeah, I don't think this cable swap has much, if anything to do with the Z drive problem.

Update: one step forward, 2,3,or more backwards.

Yes, the cables had been swapped.

Power up. Spindle motor fan doesn't run. Just as I went to turn hydraulics on, error 911 popped up. Checked batteries and they showed 3.6 volts, low, but not below threshold. Replaced them.

Found this:DSCF0974.jpg I vaguely remember reading that it is not good for these eprom(?) windows to be uncovered.

It appears that to diagnose whether the memory board is bad or just the memory is scrambled, is to initialize the control. If 911 goes away memory was scrambled. If 911 comes back, there is a problem with the board. Correct???

Dealer is going to try to find parameters for the machine. If not, I should be able to use the parameters from my near identical machine. My running machine is level 0660-09 while broke machine is level 0992-11. Maybe????

......Found this:View attachment 292672 I vaguely remember reading that it is not good for these eprom(?) windows to be uncovered.

It appears that to diagnose whether the memory board is bad or just the memory is scrambled, is to initialize the control. If 911 goes away memory was scrambled. If 911 comes back, there is a problem with the board. Correct???.....

EPROMs can be erased or damaged by UV light so it is best to have the window covered. That said I've seen lots of them where the cover had fallen off and everything was fine. It takes a pretty intense UV source and if the cabinet is closed most of the time.....

Yes, initialize the control and see if the parity alarm goes away. If it does then re-load your backup. If not then it's a board problem.

Initialized control. 911 is gone. Crossing my fingers that dealer can find parameters for this particular machine. Give him a week or so. If not, I will load load parameters for near identical machine.

Some progress. Got parameters from dealer. Somewhat surprised that RS232 functions. The parameters he sent are identical to the parameters in the "twin" when I got it. Handloaded the 900 parameters and will have to wait until tomorrow when people are here to load the parameters. Kinda hard to hold the EOB and input buttons down and hit the output key on the PC when it is 15 feet away from control panel.

PM sent to Vancbiker..

May have misspoke about RS232 working. When guys got here this morning we tried to load parameters. EDIT,PARAM, hold EOB and Input down. LSK flashes, does not change to INPUT. Looking at cable from board to dp 25 plug found that the cable was plugged into M74 socket instead of M5 socket on CPA 7 board. Changed that. Still no joy. I'm wondering if somebody fucked with the wires on the dp25.

Back