Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is trolling at it's best.

No one is this retarded. I've known bags of hammers smarter than this. I knew a brick once, it was enlightened, at perfect harmony with nature and the Universe. WAY ahead of this.

R

2. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    No one is this retarded.
    You wouldn't think so, but there are some real winners out there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    You wouldn't think so, but there are some real winners out there.
    C'mon!!!!

This guy needed a 1" square and measured 9.7"!!!!!

He can't spell, he's talking to inanimate objects, he thinks Machining is like running a screwdriver.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

C'mon!!!!

This guy needed a 1" square and measured 9.7"!!!!!

He can't spell, he's talking to inanimate objects, he thinks Machining is like running a screwdriver.
    But in his first post, he took pictures of himself in his underwear. Apparently he wears boxer briefs.

That's gotta count for something, right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, you can start by throwing that "machine" in the garbage. Get a job in a machine shop and get some real training. Those shitty YouTube videos you've been watching are giving you false hope.
    That's step two.

Step one is to put on pants.

7. Likes Mtndew, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda like drilling holes in in stressproof.

9. Likes Cole2534 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, some guys might shit on me for saying this... so be it.

Maybe we should have a single subforum for beginners\hobbyists, where the more experienced can drop in to help.
    No, we dont want goofy shit polluting the main forums BUT
    We all need to start somewhere, and not everyone is fortunate\unfortunate enough to be in the trade.

At least this guy is trying to do something, and I can empathize with that.

The short and long of it, OP is that you need to check the following:
    - Machine backlash
    - Gib\strap adjustment
    - Tool diameter offset?
    - Actual tool diameter

Nothing wrong with the Menards calipers for what he's doing... I know lots of actual shops that use similar (for rough work). Theyre cheap china shit, but OK for scribing lines and rough measurements.
    They sure as hell will pick up .3"

Best of luck OP

I have 20 years in the trade, and was able to power & buy my first personal CNC mill (Hurco KM5P) for under a couple grand. And that was a pile of work on my end building an RPC and wiring, rigging machines...
    I really should post up in the my shop subforum
    If it werent for help from you guys, I wouldnt be where Im at now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    Well, some guys might shit on me for saying this... so be it.

Maybe we should have a single subforum for beginners\hobbyists, where the more experienced can drop in to help.
    Just one question; WHY?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just one question; WHY?
    Why not? I didn't start off knowing how to program and indicate and square blocks... "We" run off enough hobbyist it might be worthwhile to re-direct them to the proper subforum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While I completely disagree with how you are checking your accuracy, I would however suggest instead of moving from 0.000 to 1.000 and measuring the distance between the marks you instead move from 0.000 to 1.100 then back to 1.000. If you have a whole turn of backlash and you pick up the edge going in x+, locate your first hole by moving in x+, then your second the same way you haven't quantified your lost motion.

Put your finger on the ways between the saddle and the table and jog x+ then zero the axis, then jog x- until you feel it move, the amount the dro changes before you can feel it is the backlash. You can probably do it better by feel than eyeballing pricks with a set of calipers. Mach3 has a backlash parameter you can adjust, I'd put .015 in it and try again.

All machines have backlash / lost motion, real equipment has very little (when it's new) and crappy equipment has a lot. Just because we use much nicer equipment doesn't mean the basics don't apply -- the impact of sloppy processing just matters less. I've run jobs on an old vmc that had .001 true position call outs for dowel pin locations that we just couldn't hit until we added moves so that it approached each hole in the bolt pattern from the same direction.

I think this is one of the aspects of manual machining (without a dro) that gets lost when you throw kids straight to CNC.

14. Likes 706jim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Why not? I didn't start off knowing how to program and indicate and square blocks... "We" run off enough hobbyist it might be worthwhile to re-direct them to the proper subforum.
    I think the general fear is bleed-over into the main forums.

PM is an interactive resource library, not a coffee shop (mostly), and I think this is how Milacron wants it. Anyone can ask any valid question here by simply omitting machine brand and they will receive high quality responses in short order. There's no need to dilute that by catering to the G-tards.

The above also provides a bit of a litmus test- can one read and follow instructions?

16. Likes Oldwrench, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not? I didn't start off knowing how to program and indicate and square blocks...
    Neither did I, but I got a job that taught me how to become a machinist.

18. Likes Oldwrench, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So did I, but that doesn't mean someone might want to learn some of this and make parts in their garage. I get it is a "professional' forum geared towards those of us making a living off of it, but that hobby shop guy might turn into a "real" machinist with a real machine one day...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Literally could not have said it better.

And "it might be worthwhile" for what? More traffic? More ads? More retards? More junk? More wasted time? More stupid questions? And what qualifies the retards before they come out from under the proverbial rock?
    R

21. Likes digger doug, Booze Daily liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree completely about the newbie sub-forum... as long as every time a person posts in it, the post is immediately deleted and the new forum name is locked for 18 months. At the end of 18 months, they need to take a simple quiz to get their account un-frozen.

23. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There already is a subforum for the guys flailing with their POS "CNCs". It just happens that it is not at this site. Personally, if there were a sub here for those machines, I would never go there. How many of us would visit it to wade through the countless posts about troubles or perceived successes with crap machines?

25. Likes Hardplates, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So did I, but that doesn't mean someone might want to learn some of this and make parts in their garage. I get it is a "professional' forum geared towards those of us making a living off of it, but that hobby shop guy might turn into a "real" machinist with a real machine one day...
    And that is EXACTLY the role of the numerous hobby sites out there. Just as you don't go straight to college you don't come to PM with zero knowledge and then argue with the pros as they spend post after post trying to explain why just because you can draw it in CAD doesn't mean you can machine it accurately, especially using a hobbyist machine with poor tolerances and loose fits.

He's already up to 25 posts and apparently still would rather indulge in endless back and forth here rather than spending some time experimenting with his machine in an effort to understand what he's already been told multiple times by multiple people.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    And that is EXACTLY the role of the numerous hobby sites out there. Just as you don't go straight to college you don't come to PM with zero knowledge and then argue with the pros as they spend post after post trying to explain why just because you can draw it in CAD doesn't mean you can machine it accurately, especially using a hobbyist machine with poor tolerances and loose fits.

He's already up to 25 posts and apparently still would rather indulge in endless back and forth here rather than spending some time experimenting with his machine in an effort to understand what he's already been told multiple times by multiple people.
    That is another matter. I am 100% in agreement, when a newb shows up and asks questions, then shoots down seasoned advice, I am all for GTFO!!!

But that is not really what I am talking about. Maybe the guy who started this thread is trolling us, I dunno.

But your school analogy has one flaw- If they are getting info from a hobby site, that "insists" their home harry router is just as good as a Haas / Mazak / whatever, how will they ever learn?? If I know nothing about say photography (and I don't ) and I go to camerashoppe.homepro I wouldn't have any idea if their advice was sound. Now if I went to a professional site for all things camera and film related I might actually learn something.

And to address what someone said about filling the site up with trash... well we already have that so what's the difference? At least this might be seen as a positive experience vs the guys who come here and say "I have a home made cnc and I don't know xxxx" and everyone immediately says GET OUT PROFESSIONALS ONLY!

But that is all just my opinion and we know how that goes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is another matter. I am 100% in agreement, when a newb shows up and asks questions, then shoots down seasoned advice, I am all for GTFO!!!

But that is not really what I am talking about. Maybe the guy who started this thread is trolling us, I dunno.

But your school analogy has one flaw- If they are getting info from a hobby site, that "insists" their home harry router is just as good as a Haas / Mazak / whatever, how will they ever learn?? If I know nothing about say photography (and I don't ) and I go to camerashoppe.homepro I wouldn't have any idea if their advice was sound. Now if I went to a professional site for all things camera and film related I might actually learn something.

And to address what someone said about filling the site up with trash... well we already have that so what's the difference? At least this might be seen as a positive experience vs the guys who come here and say "I have a home made cnc and I don't know xxxx" and everyone immediately says GET OUT PROFESSIONALS ONLY!

But that is all just my opinion and we know how that goes...
    Actually I think if he found the right site, one catering to Chinese mini mills, he would read others' experiences with trouble holding tolerances and what they did to improve it. Some of these guys scrape in and otherwise tighten up their machines, which would be a waste of time for a pro, but they enjoy doing it and end up with a better machine. They can also help him get started with using the mill properly.

The internet - a world of information literally at your fingertips.

"The information is out there, you only have to let it in."
    --Jesse Stone

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I am shocked the thread has continued to exist this long. The number of issues with the original poster would take too long to type, most of you have covered it already.

When I have a question I try my damndest to beat my head against the table until something useful works out.

Spend some quality time with the google.

Posters that said we all have to start somewhere are absolutely correct. But this is not somewhere. This is someone with no knowledge, no experience, no drive to figure anything out, buying some toys and saying, ok, now what?

Maybe it is because when I was a kid there WERE stupid questions. I worked my rear off to not NEED to ask questions, the questions that I asked were GOOD ones... cause otherwise you got ridiculed for being an idiot. Not because you were stupid, but because you didn't take the time to figure it out before wasting the skilled machinists time...

I worked with one guy for awhile, if I started to ask a question he would interrupt me and say, "did you check your bible?", which I would say, yes I checked Machinery's Handbook. Since then I have accumulated quite a LIBRARY.

I think a beginner/hobby forum is a great idea. I have no problem with people posting for help. I do it all the time. I do have a problem with people who are TOO LAZY to spend 10 minutes trying to answer their own problems!