What's new
What's new

10" 4-jaw on A2-5 spindle nose?

bryan_machine

Diamond
I have a new lathe on order, and will have an 8" 3-jaw to go on the A2-5 spindle nose the lathe will have.

I also want a 4-jaw, with replaceable top-jaws, and tend to want a 10" because, well, my manual lathe has a 10" 4-jaw and it's always been big enough.

But in looking at catalogs of likely chucks, it seems 10" 4-jaws are generally listed as being on A2-6 rather than A2-5 mounting plates.

Is there some deep reason for this, or it is just some kind of "general pattern"?

I’ve seen a few a2-5 10” chucks.

I’ve been wanting a 6” or 8” 4jaw with removable top jaws and an a2-5 mount but haven’t found much at a decent price

I don't think it matters.

A type spindle noses are mostly CNC stuff.

I bought a Takisawa TSL-800 (a manual lathe) without tooling once. Never thought it would be so tricky to find A mount manual chucks.

What I ended up doing was cutting up a couple spare CNC chucks I had to make backs for plain chucks.

Never thought it would be so tricky to find A mount manual chucks.
Plenty of them by COUNT... In Asia, a(ny) El Cheapo "manual" lathe might arrive with a 3-J , (mostly..) 4-J, or 6-Jaw, not have much other option, even as to size, and go to its grave never having had even one swap.

Meanwhile, those who NEED options, mount a proprietary "Mothership" plate, LEAVE it on the A-mount, do "Quick Change" to and from the plate:

Most of the "major" power-and-not-only makers have at least one such a system in their product line.

Problem is.. the GAP between uber-affordables.. and the uber-USEFULS.. is eye-bleeding costly.

Enough so... to be grateful for the D1 system, or even L series.. or even THREADED .. nuisance and all..

Back