What's new
What's new

1014 / 2002 Quill (tailstock) alarm on Emco Turn 325 w/ FANUC 21TB

jj80909

Aluminum
I am trying to use the pneumatic quill (tailstock) on my Emco Turn 325, but I keep getting an alarm: 1014 "Quill in intermediate position".

The quill has a proximity switch that must be set and I have gone through the procedure to adjust it.

1. Loosen the thumb screw on the proximity switch and move the switch to the far left.
2. Extend the quill until it contacts the work and a similar alarm: "2002 Quill in intermediate position" is displayed on the screen.
3. Move the proximity switch slowly to the right until the alarm is no longer displayed and tighten the thumb screw.

After the adjustment above, I can issue a M21 command in MDI to extend the quill, a M20 to retract it, and the quill operates as expected with no alarms.

But, when I run a program with a M21, the quill starts to move, stops after extending only 3/4" and throws a 1014 alarm. For kicks, I tried adding a dwell to the M21 line of the program to give the quill time to extend, but that doesn't fix it.

I have tried making small adjustments to the proximity switch, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. I have also checked / adjusted the quill (tailstock) contact pressure.

Does anyone here have experience with using the tail stock quill on an Emco Turn 325? Or, maybe a similar slant-bed lathe with a pneumatic tailstock and Fanuc controls?

Solved - SPINDLE NEEDS TO BE OFF TO EXTEND QUILL (TAILSTOCK).

In my defense, this is the first time I've used the tailstock on a CNC lathe. It makes perfect sense to stop the spindle first, but the alarm message threw me off and the generic post-processor for HSM / Fusion 360 does not put a M05 command in prior to extending / retracting the quill (tailstock). Once edited, everything works fine now!

Anyway, maybe this helps some other new guy :)

.....Anyway, maybe this helps some other new guy :)

This will not be applicable to all machines. The machine tool builder determines the operation of the tailstock and any interlocking they think is appropriate in regards to spindle operation or any other machine function for that matter.

I was looking for some help on the actual operation of the quill and this post got me going. I wasn't certain on how the location of the proximity switch was set so your explanation made it clear. Thanks for the info!

Back