What's new
What's new

107HP 5X Mill This Week in Long Beach!

In a 630mm size machine no doubt. I'm not terribly surprised to see a 100hp spindle - Makino & others make 30k rpm / 100hp spindles for ripping out aerospace structural parts. A moderate amount of torque x RPM = big HP.

What's surprising to me, is that they advertise 1088NM or torque = 802.5 lb/ft of torque! :eek:

What I want to know is...

1- Are these continuous or 30 minute/peak ratings?

2- Just what was this thing designed for...???

What's surprising to me, is that they advertise 1088NM or torque = 802.5 lb/ft of torque! :eek:

What I want to know is...

1- Are these continuous or 30 minute/peak ratings?

2- Just what was this thing designed for...???

High torque spindles are offered by several of the Japanese MTBs for their CAT50/HSK100 spindles in HMCs 630mm and larger. Our 2015/16 model year NHX6300 has a 450 lb-ft 8K spindle (standard). There was an option for a 900 ft lb high-torque spindle available.

It appears that their new machines now come standard with a 12K / 595 lb-ft spindle, with an option for an 8K / 1042 lb-ft spindle. Mori advertises 75hp @ 15%/25% duty respectively.

107hp has to be intermittent duty, perhaps peak.

With my experiences on high HP Cat 50 machines I would be skeptical about 100 HP. Several of you may remember way back when I posted my Johnford SDMC and Mighty Viper ripping tools out of the spindles not even at 100% load with just 50 HP spindles. Granted this was profiling but still yet the draw test was 4600 pounds on the SDMC and almost 5000 on the Viper with better than 80% contact on both machines.

I'm not sure what the draw force is on the Toyoda but much more that 5K pounds has to be reaching the breaking point of the pull studs. I know most people don't need to pull 100 HP while profiling but if so that would be nerve racking as it only takes one pull out to destroy a spindle.

High torque spindles are offered by several of the Japanese MTBs for their CAT50/HSK100 spindles in HMCs 630mm and larger. Our 2015/16 model year NHX6300 has a 450 lb-ft 8K spindle (standard). There was an option for a 900 ft lb high-torque spindle available.

It appears that their new machines now come standard with a 12K / 595 lb-ft spindle, with an option for an 8K / 1042 lb-ft spindle. Mori advertises 75hp @ 15%/25% duty respectively.

107hp has to be intermittent duty, perhaps peak.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is a short duty cycle number. I spec'd a Makino cell for a shop back ~2009 that was 50 taper and ~750 lb/ft torque and 8k RPM integral motor spindle. One of the tools used was a 10" dia. by 1" wide inserted slotting cutter. In Ti 6al4v 2" doc it was able to double the feed of what the previous geared head machine would handle.

The capability of integral motor spindles has advanced tremendously inthe last decade or so.

5k lbs of drawbar force is no problem on a 50 taper size pullstud. IIRC the 40 taper Makino Makino A55Es and A51 had a bit under 4k lbs.

I just looked up the spec for our Mitsubishi Heavy Industries High torque spindle on the MVR ex.

4,000 RPM 40/50 HP with 3,340 Nm for the vertical spindle and the right angle head is 3,600 RPM at 2,056 Nm.

Reminds me of looking up speeds and feeds in machinery's handbook, then looking at the footnote, and it was assuming something like '8" facemill and a 70hp spindle" !?!?!

Reminds me of looking up speeds and feeds in machinery's handbook, then looking at the footnote, and it was assuming something like '8" facemill and a 70hp spindle" !?!?!
Cash has some pretty wicked cuts on his IG, running a 13" wide cut 3/16" deep on unspecified tool steel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I just looked up the spec for our Mitsubishi Heavy Industries High torque spindle on the MVR ex.

4,000 RPM 40/50 HP with 3,340 Nm for the vertical spindle and the right angle head is 3,600 RPM at 2,056 Nm.

You sure that's not a typo? 3340 nm = 2463 ft/lbs of torque... :crazy:

Back