What's new
What's new

1215 steel bushings

areyes84

Plastic
I am machining 10000 1215 steel bushings. I am giving the inside diameter with a .500 carbide inserted reamer. The reamer is only lasting me 100 pcs. Is there any recommendations on what other method to use so I can produce these bushings?

Ok something has to be very wrong there. I think you could get better tool life from a cheap hss reamer.

Some questions. Are you pre drilling? To what size

What type of machine?

Can you post a few pictures?

I am machining 10000 1215 steel bushings. I am giving the inside diameter with a .500 carbide inserted reamer. The reamer is only lasting me 100 pcs. Is there any recommendations on what other method to use so I can produce these bushings?

It's 1215 material aka butter. It should last much much longer than 100 pcs.
What speeds and feeds are you running it at?
How many flutes does it have?
How much stock are you leaving for the reamer?

There is a serious issue here. I have had off the shelf HSS or Cobalt reamers last thousands of pieces before needing attention.
Let's address a few things:

A) - How much are you leaving for reaming? Should be .008 to .015 and no more.
B) - Feed/speed. Too slow or too fast will wipe a tool out. Check with the tool maker. I'm thinking about 750 to 1000 rpm at about .008" per rev.
C) - Coolant. A must for me.

I run these all day every day. I use HSS-Co drills at around 115-130 SFM, Run the reamer at the same speeds weather its carbide or HSS. Carbide gives much better finishes. I leave as little as 004-.006 undersize all the way to .016 undersize.

1 Drill last me around 10k parts. HSS reamer breaks down around 7500-10k. Carbide reamers havent died on me yet going on 30k parts this year (many different sizes).

If the reamer ends are not even length then you may be cutting/dulling with only one flute.

looking at dull flute ends with a loop will tell.

Might be better off with a solid reamer HSS or carbide and fab up an ends sharpener (or just toss them when dull).

A very good/best end sharpener is one that holds the reamer through a bushing. You make bushings with the reamer so bushings coat next to nothing. Simple CRS bushing last a very long time.

Yes a between centers is also a good way to sharpen reamers.

Last edited:
1215 bushings

Ok something has to be very wrong there. I think you could get better tool life from a cheap hss reamer.

Some questions. Are you pre drilling? To what size pre drilling to .492 800 rpm .010 p/r. Part is 2" long

What type of machine? doosan

Can you post a few pictures?

I am pre drilling to a dia. of .492. Then using a carbide reamer at 800 rpm, .010 p/r. The part is 2" long

...with a .500 carbide inserted reamer.

If the ends are not near perfect so all blades/inserts are not all hitting/cutting then there is little you can do to make good tool life.

You can look at a dull/part-dull reamer end with a loop and see that all are or are not cutting.

Thin wall bushings may be distorting with the way you hold them

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post

Me: or a cheap carbide reamer.

Back