15k spindle motor alarms out above 10k, especially when changing it with the overide - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My machine just alarmed out while it was sitting between cycles. All of the alarms on the control display are the same listed in my first post. I checked the drive and have an Alarm-10, which is a converter alarm and a 12 in on the converter LED. I will look this up after lunch. Come to think of it this happened a few days ago under the same circumstances, but I didn't check for drive alarms.

Alarm 12 is Main circuit undervoltage, Main circuit output voltage became lower than undervoltage detection level, Check the input supply voltage.

The lights in the house have been dimming and flickering occasionally lately which I figured was the problem a few days ago, perhaps that may be it. Whenever I check shop voltage it is 121 or so.

I just checked and input voltage to the converter is 218-220 with the spindle on or off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    My machine just alarmed out while it was sitting between cycles. All of the alarms on the control display are the same listed in my first post. I checked the drive and have an Alarm-10, which is a converter alarm and a 12 in on the converter LED. I will look this up after lunch. Come to think of it this happened a few days ago under the same circumstances, but I didn't check for drive alarms.

Alarm 12 is Main circuit undervoltage, Main circuit output voltage became lower than undervoltage detection level, Check the input supply voltage.

The lights in the house have been dimming and flickering occasionally lately which I figured was the problem a few days ago, perhaps that may be it. Whenever I check shop voltage it is 121 or so.

I just checked and input voltage to the converter is 218-220 with the spindle on or off.
    If trying to sort out mains voltage issues you really need to hook a datalogging meter to the mains and log at least 24 hours. My mains varies over 10 volts with occasional peaks of 250 volts.

You also need to log it while running the machine. Both pre and post PP and pre and post transformer.

If its a mains issue and you log enough days you may find a trend. Steel mills can put huge loads on the mains and cause voltage drops, even a medium side boiler will draw enough power for around 18 hours to power 60,000 homes, before it starts to come on line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or maybe your amp is shot?

We have a Siemens 30hp drive that we are replacing b/c it likes to drop out somewhere around 1/2 speed.

Both drives are hanging there, but not gotten the switch done yet.
    (different generation models)

For a long time I thought the trouble was on my end.
    Bad V or "angle" coming out of my RPC, or maybe the X that this machine is on, but after some time with the scope, it was found that the drive it'self is the problem.

The machine fried 3 of those line conditioners in the cabinet and they caught farr as soon as we hooked it up when we first got it.
    My Fluke (digital) showed normal V, but I questioned it.
    I found an analogue meter that my EE had left here, and it showed 1000V. (480 machine)

I'll be glad to have this changed and running right for once!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

one thing to keep in mind is that japan power is 200V and for them to build a machine to take even 220V like Fanuc and others list they can ,, they need to bump there 200V up to test it ,, so here we are in the US with are 240V power trying to run something that was originally built for 200V ... Just about every shop I have every worked in that had fanuc, Fagor ,mits or other off shore built controls had to do a lot of screwing around to get them to work right ...

6. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4 Fanuc's here running on RPC 240V and never had any issues with that in >20 yrs.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Vancbiker offered to come out for a visit and I took him up on it. He came out last Saturday, while it was snowing, and we talked and futzed around with my machine. Of course, the damn thing didn't want to alarm out but it finally did with a little effort, sort of. We never got the spindle drive to alarm but did get a machine alarm, which turned out to be the inverter for, I think, the tool changer. The regen would bump the voltage to 255 from 220 when shutting the spindle off from 15k which the inverter didn't like. Supposedly it would be fine to 262 but... So I called PP up today to ask if there was something about it that was causing the voltage to increase any. Their answer was no, regen passes right through without any resistance. So no real solution to the problem but as I told Vancbiker the problem isn't that bad because I could pretty much get the mill making parts as fast as I could load fixtures offline and scoop chips with the spindle capped at 6k so any faster wouldn't make more parts. I am pretty sure if I don't go over 12k I would be fine. To be honest I am happy with the outcome since I now know the problems I have are not going to degrade into damaged motors or drives so I can focus on getting my next batch of parts to market.

My other issue is a humming Y-axis servo, which Vancbiker said sounds like a loose resolver connection to the motor. Not good but not that bad either and dampening the gain a little quiets it down quite a bit.

Hugh THANK YOU for Vancbiker for coming out to visit.

9. Likes Ox, Garwood liked this post