What's new
What's new

1985 Matsuura MC500 V2: Worth it to buy?

dmatsuda

Plastic
Hi all, new to this site, took a look around and couldn't find much on these models of older CNC.
To give some background, I am looking to start a part time hobby shop to attract a few customers before investing in newer machines. This will be my main machine, I went to see it and it's in immaculate condition. It was part of an engineering lab and was used just for cutting fixtures. The total time it was powered up was less than 3K hours. It's basically a new machine (If it were the 80's). Owner is asking about 9K for it.

The main questions I had is:
1. Is it worth buying this old of a machine (assuming the price is right)
2. What should I look for? I have seem it powered up, but no air was hooked up (having air hooked up to it this weekend to check out)

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!
D

Hi all, new to this site, took a look around and couldn't find much on these models of older CNC.
To give some background, I am looking to start a part time hobby shop to attract a few customers before investing in newer machines. This will be my main machine, I went to see it and it's in immaculate condition. It was part of an engineering lab and was used just for cutting fixtures. The total time it was powered up was less than 3K hours. It's basically a new machine (If it were the 80's). Owner is asking about 9K for it.

The main questions I had is:
1. Is it worth buying this old of a machine (assuming the price is right)
2. What should I look for? I have seem it powered up, but no air was hooked up (having air hooked up to it this weekend to check out)

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!
D

Pictures?
What taper? Tooling included? Check out how much tooling costs to buy now for your taper...
What type of toolchanger? Probably umbtrlla carousel or chain carousel. Toolchangers can be finicky.
How does the spindle sound in all speed ranges?
How do the axes sound?
Oiler working?
I think that machine is box ways, which is good as long as they keep ways well lubed

Old machines that have been sitting unpowered for a long time can forget their settings if the CMOS battery dies, so check that it's fully functional. Other than that I see no reason not to buy it. It won't be competitive with a modern machine, but it sounds like you don't need that, and it would be a great way to get started. You can upgrade to a modern machine later.

Thanks for the inputs.
It is an umbrella too changer, comes with tooling holders (bt-40) have not heard the spindle yet.
Pics coming as soon as I can figure out how to upload

I have a buddy that has one. His is odd-ball BT45 spindle. Says finding holders can be a PITA.
And, every now and then he will have electrical component failure (Yasnac) that he has to deal with. He has found several places that help with those issues.
Otherwise, he says it is good iron. His is pretty nice. And, its always running every time I go to his shop.
Of course, he has a bunch of Matsuuras, so he may be biased. And one Fadal 60/30. He hates that Fadal! LOL

You can Drip to an MX-3.

Unless there is something special about the machine, I wouldn't buy it. "Special" can mean $1000.00 BTW.

I hate Yas. controls, I HATE them even worse than I dislike Fanuc, which is a lot. If the tool changer is Umbrella style and it takes 15 seconds, that would be a deal breaker. Check the way covers, rotational Tram, Parallel and Perp. to the spindle, Coolant tank and pump, Parameters. I would want to make a couple parts on it.

R

At minimum write a program that executes a Tool change a position, and reference return for EVERY Tool slot.

I have a MC1000, i have problems with solenoid valves sticking and timing out, also the ways underneath the table check them out make sure it doesn't look like mine:)
DSC02966.jpg

I don't know about your spindle drive, i have a fanuc SP-12 and it mostly works, but sometimes it will go through a couple of "semiconductor" fuses without any load.

Also, there are a couple of oiler manifolds with springs to release the oil at different pressures to different places on the machine and the spring is held with a plastic cover that might crack and you won't get proper lubrication,
DSC02969.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

My 800 has a yasnac mx2,, if urs has a mx5 it may have been up dated, I very much enjoy my yasnac, ain't perfect but wat is?maybe termite, but eh.
If you learn it, it will very much do good work, the iron is awsome. If it runs sweet,10 large ain't much.
As said above, the mx2 has a good memory, just short( small) for toolroom work, good enough, cut fender dies or door panels, maybe not so good.
All my grams are ole school fat finger types, long time ago, 900 rpms was a lot, now I have 4500? Chit man , buy it!!

Pros and Cons here.
$9k is kinda high for a 30 year old machine. If it's in super pristine condition and comes with some tooling, spares, vises, work, or "something" to sweeten it I'd say yes. If not, then "maybe" and try to dicker down a little.

With that said, Matsuura is a decent machine. The control may be older and not have a lot of memory but there are ways to work around that.

Good is that if it is in decent shape, she can make some money and pay for herself real quick. $9k, it wouldn't take a lot of work on a VMC to make $9k. Couple jobs would be it.

Me? I'd go for it and try to carve a few $ of the price or maybe get some tools or such thrown in the deal, call the riggers and start making coin.

No one else thinks $9k is a ridiculously high price for a machine over 30 years old? No matter what condition it would be lucky to be worth half that.

Seems high to me, I have been looking for at used for a while, a few more grand would get you a decade or two newer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No one else thinks $9k is a ridiculously high price for a machine over 30 years old? No matter what condition it would be lucky to be worth half that.

IMO, it is about double what it should be if it is truly as pristine as the OP says and includes the wiring diagram, ladder diagram, Matsuura manuals (operation, maintenance, and parts). Though I like Yasnac controls, they are becoming a liability as it has been nearly 20 years since Yaskawa stopped producing CNC controls.

i'm going to be looking at a 760 here soon haven't seen it yet or pictures but it has the 30 tool side mount and a boat load of tooling with it for a 1/3 of the price that you are looking at. like others have said price may be a little high if the wrong part or control piece takes a dump you could be in big trouble. juice has to be worth the squeeze. who is selling it used dealer or the shop?

Sorry haven't quite figured out how to post the pics (haven't had time to see why I can't upload from my phone). Trying to negotiate getting it for 5k. It's from a private party ( not resaler) and also found out it has history with a local service company from the past 12+years with good standing. Nothing major but serviced regularly up to about a couple years ago. Hoping all goes well if this deal works out.

Back