What's new
What's new

1988 FANUC OTb CONTROL. HARDINGE CONQUEST 42. G74 QUESTIONS

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
Following is an example of a drilling cycle on this machine.
G74 R100
G74 X0.0 Z-2.54966 F0.005 Q100

It uses a two line command for the drill cycle.

Why?

What does the R100 do?

I really need to find a programming manual for this old machine to answer these questions.
Thanks

Isn't the r the distance it returns short of the previous drilled depth?

G74 is face grooving or peck drilling. I don't believe you need both G74 lines for just drilling. You might look at G83. G83 is deep hole drilling with full retract.

G0 X.0 Z.1
G83 Z-2.54966 R0100 Q1000 F.005

Run it out in dry land first.

Brent

Following is an example of a drilling cycle on this machine.
G74 R100
G74 X0.0 Z-2.54966 F0.005 Q100

It uses a two line command for the drill cycle.

Why?

What does the R100 do?

I really need to find a programming manual for this old machine to answer these questions.
Thanks
Hello Houndogforever,
The R address in the first G74 Block is the distance of retract between each peck. Your example in Inch Mode, R100 equates to 0.0100". The first G74 Block sets the specified value in parameter 5139 and remains that set value until changed by another value specified in the first G74 Block.

Yardbird said:
You might look at G83. G83 is deep hole drilling with full retract.

Hello Brent,
Its very uncommon for a lathe without Live Tooling to have any of the typical canned drilling and tapping cycles and then they only operate when using the Live Tools

Regards,

Bill

Thanks guys. I did search, but I really need to start using google search on this site rather than the forum search.

EIther that or I'm just completely lame.

Thanks guys. I did search, but I really need to start using google search on this site rather than the forum search.

EIther that or I'm just completely lame.

The forum search is terrible. But you can use google to search any website you want by using the format [site: practicalmachinist.com "G84 drill"] obviously without the brackets.

Back