What's new
What's new

1994 Fadal VMC-15 Newbie Question

shaffin

Aluminum
So I got my hands on a 1994 Fadal VMC-15 with the 88 control (I have never owned a Fadal before nor do I have any experience with the Fadal 88 control), but not sure how to validate some of the options on the machine is equipped with, such as:

1. Spindle speed... when testing we were able to test 5000 rpm at 100%, and were able to override it that by hearing the spindle did run faster... how do I check whether it is 7500rpm or 10000rpm?

2. Is there some place to detect whether the machine has Rigid Tapping?

3. Is my only way to run a program using manual GCode creation at the control and using DNC? The reason I ask is that the process I have been using in the past is creating drawings (DXF) and then using CamBam to generate GCode, then copying the GCode file over onto the controller to run - what is the common practise for Fadals?

4. Do the Fadals require spindle warmup time before using the machine, or is the program available within the Fadal 88 controller (I did see the operator using a CS routine that I guessing is the cold-start)?

5. If anyone can share a soft-copy of the various manuals (operator, programming, electricals, etc.) that would be much appreciated.

Thank you all,
shaffin.

The control is pretty straight forward, not much fluff. Enjoy.

1) Spindle Speed--- A functional way to know for certain would be to MDI an rpm and increase it 7500, then to 8000 and see if you get a change.....or you can check in your parameters. At the Enter Next Command prompt you can type in SETP, <enter> and you will enter the parameter pages. You should be able to find the what the spindle rpms are there.

2) Rigid Tapping---Similarly, you should be able to find out if the machine had rigid tap within the parameter pages.

3) Code---Yes, you can upload programs via the rs232 port on the back of the machine. There are some aftermarket boxes you can buy that will let you use a USB, but on that old of a fadal, rs232 is probably the standard uploading method.

4) Warm-up---Yes, it is a good idea, required? eh....I use them. You should keep a warm-up program in the control, but no, it is not a permanent prog that resides there.

5) A quick google search with locate downloadable manuals for Fadals.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

The manuals are available on line in pdf format.
you dnc your programs using the serial port,
or you can get an adapter from calmotion that will use a usb drive.
CS is to tell it where zero is you use jog to line up the axis markers then do CS.
do a search there is a vidio on line that actually shows how to do the CS and set up the tool changer done by some school

Seems like theres usually a sheet glued to the inside of the control panel that lists all purchased options, or maybe its a loose sheet in a little pocket, or similar?

Inside the door to the pendent box are the parameters and options the machine was shipped with.
Rigid tapping and more memory were often added at a later date.

Most VMC 15 machines were 7500 rpm without the high-low spindle drive (10,000 rpm and higher torque)

Back