What's new
What's new

1994 Fadal VMC 20 possible purchase

ripperj

Stainless
Any reason why this wouldn’t be a good starter VMC?

Rapid a bit slow at 400ipm, had DC drives.
Will it rigid tap?
It’s 5 hour drive, but I may go take a look

$9k seems reasonable, if not clapped out. The paint inside the cabinet looks good, usually the older ones it’s all bare, maybe this one has low hours, waiting on more pics and info.

91526f9ee15c1f3caeb70b4539693840.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it available to view under power? First thing I noticed in the picture is that it's not sitting at Cold Start position (we always power down at that location, don't know about other users), but may be reason for that.

If they can fire it up, and IIRC, enter UT, then option for Clocks and take a look at On Time and Run Time.

Open up the control pendant and take a look at the options list inside back cover (or have them send you a photo of it) - will tell you what options are installed.

Probably $2K-$3K range for rigging and transport would be my guess.

We've recently sold off several of our Fadals - two 3016 and one 4020. Despite the fact they were in excellent shape, and are the highest demand models (machine size-wise), the market decreed that they were not worth our asking prices. Given all the caveats of not knowing the market in your area, the true condition of the machine, etc. I would think it should be available for a little less. Fortunately, this just one of many opinions you'll be getting :).

Good luck.

Fred

Thanks for the input
It’s at a dealer that will power it up, I have bought from them before, and they seem pretty honest and helpful.

Is it practical to ship something like this long distance? I have seen newer ones for not much more, but they are pretty far ( Fl and Georgia), I’m in Ct

That particular Fadal is box ways on all axes. Pretty stout little machine I would imagine, and if it's working correctly then it's a good deal at $9k I'd say!

Make sure to inspect it under power. Make sure all the box ways have been getting oil, and that the turcite is still in place. Looks very clean to me, if it runs I personally would jump on it!

I have seen several 4020 In good similar condition for 10k or less. There’s a 4020 in Florida with 30 tool atc and 4th axis wire under power for 9k.

My power situation can’t really handle 15-20hp, I do see a lot of 4020s around

Well the vmc 4020 come with 10hp spindles just the same as that vmc40 although there are many that are the ht model requiring 45amps of 240 3 phase.

My power situation can’t really handle 15-20hp,

Just because it has 15-20hp doesn't mean that you have to use 15 to 20hp.

Not that often you will ever actually pull a cut that will use it all..
Also, most spindle drives, you can cap the amperage going to the motor,
so if you do get a little too aggressive, the spindle drive will limit
you before you brown out the neighborhood.

I picked an older VMC 20 a couple years ago for $7.5k with a bunch of tooling and a nice 8" kurt vise. I had it delivered on a rollback for $400. I'm running it with a 10hp Phase Perfect. I think it a great starter machine. I've had a few small issues, but the machine has paid for itself many times over.

I picked an older VMC 20 a couple years ago for $7.5k with a bunch of tooling and a nice 8" kurt vise. I had it delivered on a rollback for $400. I'm running it with a 10hp Phase Perfect. I think it a great starter machine. I've had a few small issues, but the machine has paid for itself many times over.

Thanks for the reply
If you get a minute can you tell me if it will fit thru a 83” door if I disassemble the Z and cable chain?
My ceiling is 95”, but I can get 10” more between the joists

It will be close, I just measured mine & it's 80" from the floor to the flange that the Z axis mounts to. I had to remove my Z axis to roll it in on 3/4" pipe. I didn't need to mess with the cable chain, but my door height was 93".

The only time I checked what the 4020 was drawing was at idle and then machining 6061 with a 1/2 endmill, I measured 2.5 and 6.5A respectively. 6.5A probably wasn't for a very heavy cut, but your not going to have power issues with any Fadal, unless your driving it really hard, which in a garage situation I'd think your unlikely to be doing.

It should fit with the z-axis servo removed and the echains set aside. I fit my VMC40 under a 83in door and had about 1-1 1/2 inches of clearance.

Dont do it! You wont have fun owning a VMC, making cool parts, exploring the 3" deep memory abyss, giving your precious life times to slow rapids and tool change or asking a group of buddies online what is wrong then spending $59.00in parts and $200 in shipping to fix it. Never mind the space bar or the cold starting or even loosing your vision to green text. Being told you have junk and it will never work but somehow magically it does. Becoming hunchback from shoveling chips out with a snow shovel...oh no my friend...you will not own Fadal....Fadal will own you. That is the old Fadal experience...live it...smell it...you dont have to love it...you just have to shut the monitor off at night.

It will fit under a standard door. Just remove the Z servo and unbolt the cable tracks and push them flat. I also had to take the top hat off of the spindle motor. They are great machines and that one looks relatively clean. Like others have said, check it out, power it up with a cold start and with no issues, price is probably fair, but there's probably some room to work. You could probably have it at your place for around that number.

Back