What's new
What's new

1995 Fadal VMC-15RT Spindle Stops mid cycle

EchoArms

Plastic
Hi, I'm new to CNC and Fadals. I bought his machine from a shop that i knew it ran well in. I got it set up, and started running. I've run a few programs successfully. I ran about 50 cycles of this program when it just started spooling down mid cycle. The spindle would slow down and then it would move the table and give me an emergency stop message. The fan in the head area was making strange noises briefly. It does this with any program now, it goes about 1 minute into a program and then stops. Does the head overheat if the fan isn't functioning properly? Videos below:

put a tool in your spindle
goto MDI type in s3500m03
hit cycle start.
let it run for a while. look at the spindle drive in the back to see what it says for rpms.

wether is spools down or not do the same thing but type in s1000m03
let it run for a while

is your spindle hot?
cpuld be your spindle drive. I had one actually do that

Is it faulting when it decels to stop the spindle?

If only doing it on decel, check that the belt tensioners are working proper (if a hi low system), and if a baldor spindle invertewr, check the braking resistors on top of spindle drive cabinet, and fuses in the spindle drive itself.

I had a 4020 doing that when it shut the spindle off.
Could also be spindle encoder.

Post a pic of your code. You can scrub out the positional info if you'd like.

I ran two other programs and had the same result at about the same amount of time from the start of the program. It make suspect it’s a temperature thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For helping future people, this ended up being a burnt brake resistor. When the program would hit a reduced RPM, it would hang there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back