What's new
What's new

2000 Mori CL series?

bisdreamz

Plastic
Hi again everyone!

We are ready to add a simple 2 axis lathe and looking into budget options (~20k) to buy out of pocket. It appears the older Mori's are a good fit.
Specifically, the CL-150 or a CL-203B we have found. The latter has twice the hp and a tail stock, but is larger and only has 10 tool stations. Equipped with the MSC-803 control.

Whats the consensus around here - I assume they are still a good buy? Id love a ~2010 Doosan Lynx but trying to avoid budget creep..

All suggestions welcomed before we pull the trigger. I cut 99% aluminum 4" dia and 2" long. My toughest part is a 6" long 5/8-11 or thereabouts 4140 bolt.

Thanks all

Mori CL series machines are solid IME. Choosing between the 2 will really depend on which one best suits your needs and what each machines condition is.

The MSC 803 control is built on Mitsubishi hardware with some custom Mori U/I screens and features. I find them easy to use and navigate, but not everyone will feel that way depending on what controls one has experience with.

Thank you! It appears the controls arent well known but feedback I find is generally positive.

Other options:
Mori SL-204SMC With sub and live Link here Missing tool setter and is dirty, but having these would be nice..
2000 Mazak QT-250 with some bumps Link here

Tough call, the mazak seems like the control is more popular but Im unsure of the support between them, or any day to day machine quirks.

I have 2 cl-20’s but with fanuc control. They are workhorses and pack a decent punch for their size. I have run a 1.75 drill through 4140 ph without issue. The turret is a Geneva type and slow. I will say the machines have been extremely reliable despite a tough life.

Thank you! It appears the controls arent well known but feedback I find is generally positive.

Other options:
Mori SL-204SMC With sub and live Link here Missing tool setter and is dirty, but having these would be nice..
2000 Mazak QT-250 with some bumps Link here

Tough call, the mazak seems like the control is more popular but Im unsure of the support between them, or any day to day machine quirks.

We have an SL-25 & CL-253

I saw in the SL-204mc link, it appears to have the Mits controller. Honestly its really close to a FANUC controller, we have it on the CL & has conversational programming as well. I like ours very well. The CL-253 is closing in on 20 years old and still takes monster cuts and for it being a 10" chuck it can turn as big as 17-19" (cant remember off the top of my head) and does a good job at it. There arent many newer machines that have that kind of turning capability. We have had some minor issues in the past but all in all a solid machine.

the Sl-25 has been run for 25+ years and incredibly solid as well, I havent had much experience on this one but still both are great machines!

Really appreciate the input, glad to hear good things.

We may have found the same sub/live machine with an updated MSX control. Have the machine held for us now awaiting inspection. Super excited for my first fancy lathe!

I’m going to reach out to the major tooling providers to see what fancy new tools are available, ideally multi use tools to save turret space. Worried about having to load right and left hand tools.

Back