What's new
What's new

2001 supermax rebel spidle tool display zero

dan1284

Plastic
My mill has lost what tool was in spindle now the display says zero is there a way to set spindle tool, its a fanuc om controller

I work with a 2000 with an OM control, On ours D432 is spindle tool and D440 is next tool. This is on our machine with umbrella changer - D432 and D440 always match. The tool numbers are input in binary format. Use this converter to figure the decimal equivalent

Decimal to Binary converter

T0 exists as a normal tool number. Seeing T0 on the screen does not mean something is wrong. Say on a 12 tool carousel tool changer, you have T1-T12 stored in the carousel. T0 will then be the tool in the spindle. As long as you can call all the other tool numbers to the spindle you are good.

If you manage to have duplicate tool numbers you will have to dig into the Data tables shown by twr earlier. Not even sure the machine will allow duplicates without throwing an alarm.

Did you happen to stop a tool change or carousel move before it was finished? Stuff like that can mess things up sometimes.

Was able to get it back going had lost one of the diagnostic parameter now reading thanks for everybody's help really came thru

Hi the only time my machine has shown a 0 spindle tool was if a tool change was stopped before it was finished doing the tool change, as said before. I don't recall a tool 0 unless something was screwed up. Glad you got it fixed up!!

Hi the only time my machine has shown a 0 spindle tool was if a tool change was stopped before it was finished doing the tool change, as said before. I don't recall a tool 0 unless something was screwed up. Glad you got it fixed up!!

I have a Supermax 3 with a 22 tool carousel and OMC control.

I also have a Mori Sieki with 30 tool carousel and 18MC control.

Both machines have a tool call of T0 as the norm. Sometimes referred to as "Empty Pot." In fact on the Supermax when I've needed that one extra tool for a job, T0 would get called and used just like any other tool. I would use spare H and D offsets for it. (Have 32 total)

On the Mori I use T0M6 daily to clear the spindle before shutting off the machine. There is a "return tool in spindle to carousel" call (G30 maybe?) but I can't use it, because my programmable coolant nozzles use a DPRINT command incorporated into the M6 tool change cycle to keep the nozzles tracking which tool is in the spindle. Using G30 instead of M6 to change a tool out screws that up.

So my point is I guess for those in need, don't forget you have one more usable tool call then you have spots in your tool carousel. It's called by T0M6. Obviously the best way to find out if your machine will allow it is call up T0 and see what happens.

EDIT: Ahh I just realized something relevant to this thread. A carousel or non swingarm type tool changer always needs an empty spot. Sorry... my bad. :-)

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave I have a supermax 3 rebel but I have 20 tool umbrella, I am going to try to call tool zero and see what's happens I have never tried it before.

Back