What's new
What's new

2002 Haas TM1 4th Axis Alarm

Nerdlinger

Stainless
We've got a Haas HRT160 4th axis we rarely use, but we HAVE used it before in this machine (2002 Haas TM1)...maybe 3 years ago. We turned the machine off, hit E-stop, plugged it in, turned the machine back on and upon startup got the alarm below. Reset does nothing. If we adjust the settings to disable the 4th the alarm goes away after reset. I can open 'er up and look at the wires for a short or whatever but thought I would ask for help first in case this is a common issue with a simple fix that maybe I am just overlooking??? :confused:

Thanks for any help!

"164 A AXIS DRIVE FAULT - CURRENT IN A SERVO MOTOR BEYOND LIMIT. POSSIBLY CAUSED BY A STALLED OR OVERLOADED MOTOR. THE SERVOS ARE TURNED OFF. THIS CAN BE CAUSED BY RUNNING A SHORT DISTANCE INTO A MECHANICAL STOP. IT CAN ALSO BE CAUSED BY A SHORT IN THE MOTOR OR A SHORT OF ONE MOTOR LEAD TO GROUND."

Ugh...sorry about the sideways picture...I can't figure out how to delete it :crazy:

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 98
This sounds really familiar. I ran a 2001 TM-1 and I want to say there was a detailed explanation in the manual if you have it, but what you mentioned sounds really close. It was picky if you did anything in the wrong order.

on my machines, I need to e-stop, set the parameters for the 4th/5th, then turn the machine off, plug them in, turn it back on. If I don't do it in that order I'll get an alarm.
Try turning the machine off and back on

Do you hear the air solenoid releasing the brake before the A motor spins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope...it immediately alarms out upon starting up the machine. I wonder if the brake is applied while it’s teying to home out his overloading it. But I doubt it because I haven’t even hit the “Power up / Restart” button yet. The machine boots up wth alarms present. 🤔

on my machines, I need to e-stop, set the parameters for the 4th/5th, then turn the machine off, plug them in, turn it back on. If I don't do it in that order I'll get an alarm.
Try turning the machine off and back on

Thanks! I’ll try the process you described and also double check what the manual says.

This happens to me if I select the the wrong 4th axis in the setup menus.
Like selecting an hr160 vs hr160p (or whatever the model is)
Errors out before I can even home it.
Just something to double check.

No luck, but thanks guys! I tried Larry’s procedure, which is precisely the procedure in the book, and made sure the appropriate model is selected in setting 30 (HRT160). There must be a fuse or short somewhere. Guess I’ll grab my screwdriver and start taking things apart...😀

No luck, but thanks guys! I tried Larry’s procedure, which is precisely the procedure in the book, and made sure the appropriate model is selected in setting 30 (HRT160). There must be a fuse or short somewhere. Guess I’ll grab my screwdriver and start taking things apart...��

just another thought. I had an idiot a while back who hooked up a rotary, professed it was all fucked up cause he couldn't get it to work. I went out, and sure enough the red light was on, error for servo something or other. I went to check the cables, and one of the connectors was full of chips. Asshole plugged it in that way.

Maybe check the connectors are clean and no pins are bent

just another thought. I had an idiot a while back who hooked up a rotary, professed it was all fucked up cause he couldn't get it to work. I went out, and sure enough the red light was on, error for servo something or other. I went to check the cables, and one of the connectors was full of chips. Asshole plugged it in that way.

Maybe check the connectors are clean and no pins are bent

Haha, good point. I DID check the pins but I’ll double check. It’s done nothing but sit on a table for ~3 years since we used it last so I’m kind of surprised it’s not even firing up. I could see lube getting gunky or something after that time but for something electrical to just poop out, short, etc seems unlikely. So maybe it is something more obvious. Thanks!

No luck, but thanks guys! I tried Larry’s procedure, which is precisely the procedure in the book, and made sure the appropriate model is selected in setting 30 (HRT160). There must be a fuse or short somewhere. Guess I’ll grab my screwdriver and start taking things apart...😀

Double checked mine to clarify my previous post.
My rotory is a shrt160h model.
In my control there is 2 160mm models an hrt160 and hrt160b. I'm guessing one is brushed the other brushless setting.
Checked it for fun and the hrt160 gave me the same alarm as you.
Hrt160b setting worked fine. I'm on a 2007 control 17xxxxxx software.

Best of luck

We've got a Haas HRT160 4th axis we rarely use, but we HAVE used it before in this machine (2002 Haas TM1)...maybe 3 years ago. We turned the machine off, hit E-stop, plugged it in, turned the machine back on and upon startup got the alarm below. Reset does nothing. If we adjust the settings to disable the 4th the alarm goes away after reset. I can open 'er up and look at the wires for a short or whatever but thought I would ask for help first in case this is a common issue with a simple fix that maybe I am just overlooking??? :confused:

Thanks for any help!

"164 A AXIS DRIVE FAULT - CURRENT IN A SERVO MOTOR BEYOND LIMIT. POSSIBLY CAUSED BY A STALLED OR OVERLOADED MOTOR. THE SERVOS ARE TURNED OFF. THIS CAN BE CAUSED BY RUNNING A SHORT DISTANCE INTO A MECHANICAL STOP. IT CAN ALSO BE CAUSED BY A SHORT IN THE MOTOR OR A SHORT OF ONE MOTOR LEAD TO GROUND."

Ugh...sorry about the sideways picture...I can't figure out how to delete it :crazy:

The main issues you will have with these is either in the connection or on the settings. I would recommend contacting Haas support for the setting end of it. We have had to use incremental adjustments to fix the settings before and they will walk you through it on the phone. As was stated before the connection after power off is a must. It is also critical that the setting to 4th axis is changed to the correct model before the power off. So change the setting, power off, hook up (ALWAYS power cable first), power on, zero return xyz seperate, zero return A axis last. Hope this helps

When we first connected my HRT160, my Haas Tech played around with a million settings to try and get it to work. We sent it back to Oxnard for a refurb. When It came back and worked right off the bat. But I agree you need to configure it and power it up in the right order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back