What's new
What's new

2004 sharp sv2412 review

joseysandy

Plastic
Looking for a home shop machine. Only have experience with a 2017 vf2 so I’m looking for first hand experience with the shape. I machine 303 stainless almost exclusively.

Great stout little machines. Not speed demons, but rugged. Minor things like sensors and tool changer brakes are probably going to go out on that age machine, are you able to troubleshoot?

What's your back park budget?

Great stout little machines. Not speed demons, but rugged. Minor things like sensors and tool changer brakes are probably going to go out on that age machine, are you able to troubleshoot?

Bark park? I assume that means repairs?

Bark park? I assume that means repairs?

One put "back park" the other wrote "bark park" but I think we all know he meant ball park

One put "back park" the other wrote "bark park" but I think we all know he meant ball park
LOL...

I have a 2006 SR2412, and love it. As stated, it's not a speed demon (especially surfacing), but does well otherwise. I haven't tried the high-speed function yet (I don't recall what G-code it is now off the top of my head, G5.1 of G5.2 maybe?). I haven't done a tone of stainless on it, but it will slot 304SS 1/2" wide, 3/4" deep in 1 pass no problem. That was as far as I had to push it for that particular job.

Recently ran a bunch of aluminum, 2.25" length of cut, 0.070" stepover, 7,000rpm, 70ipm. Loved it! Spindle load at about 95% on those cuts.

Yes, ball park, thank you... Just wondering because that gives everyone an idea of how old and used of a machine you are looking at.

On our 2008 OI-Mate it's G5.1 for the look ahead and I use it for most contouring, it helps keep it from stuttering. A member here posted a very clear explanation of how to use it.

The spindle on ours is LOUD, from what other have said I think it's the type of belt that is used. It doesn't get hot, part finishes are good, so I wear earplugs and let 'er rip.

The older Sharp mills were made by a company called FIRST and there really nice machine ,, some time around 2015 or so Sharp started making there own machines and from the few I have seen I think the ones made by First were a lot better built. First is still making machines and there being sold by Kent and a ton of other importers ,

Mine had no issues cutting stainless and hardened (45HRc) 4140 steel. Great surface finishes and pretty accurate for as old as it was.

My spindle was not loud, but mine had cut stainless for its 6k hour like before I bought it so likely mostly low RPM.

For a first machine the 393ipm rapids were nice. It theoretically will cut at 393ipm but I could not get mine to run above 160ipm (the accel/decel just aren't there).

Biggest issue is if it has a 0i-Mate on it those controls are really, really limited. Mine had "expanded" memory of 240Kb and would run G08 or G05.1 (AI-APC only). Also no full 4th axis control is possible on this controller. You can drip feed from the PCMCIA card but the high speed code will not run like that (it isn't like a data server).

Glad I started with one, glad to have a different machine now.

Hope that helps.

Back