What's new
What's new

2006 Fadal 3016 Fanuc 18i Control "Another Question"

Don Davis 87

Aluminum
I have been making progress getting my used machine back together, now I'm finding new and exciting problems that I can't figure out. My machine has a Fanuc 18i control, as it is I can not override my rapid traverse movements, I definitely need to find out how to change that, the potentiometer works for 'Feed" moves but my rapids are too fast, I'd like to be able to override them so I can get through a setup without having a heart attack.

Also I have a second question,

I want to change from Metric to Inch, I'd like to set Inch as the default, when I try to change the on or off in the settings, I get a red flashing error that says 'WRONG MODE" and I haven't been able to get around that. If you guys can help a brother out, it would be greatly appreciated. Don

You most likely have to be in MDI or EDIT to change parameters.

I've never seen a combination percent Feed and percent Rapid rotary switch. (But I've also never stared at a Fadal control panel.) Look around... there's got to be a switch or buttons to slow down your rapids. Maybe only 2 -4 settings tops. 0-25%-50%-100% as an example.

Inch mode on startup is parameter 0000.2 INI 0= mm 1= inch. (18i Model A - and likely later versions too)

I recently sold a Tree machining center and on that machine the same knob would slow or speed up both rapids or feed moves, or I could go to the setup page and change a setting there so the potentiometer would no longer affect the Rapids. I never ran it like that though.

Thanks for your reply

Download a Fanuc parameter manual for your model and either search "Rapid" or look in the low 1400's which have a lot to do with rapid traverse and the control of it. Backup your original parameters first and keep a written record everything you decide to change. Maybe there is a setting in there that will help, especially if you're unable to find a Rapid Control on your control panel.

Don -
From previous post I have what I believe is the same machine - can you DM me or post a picture of your control?
The feedrate control changes both rapids and feeds on my machine. Parameter 1420 has the Rapid feedrates. For reference I have 7620 for X/Y and 5620 for Z. It would never occur to me to disconnect Rapid rates from that knob so not sure if that is a parameter or not (seems like a recipe to go bang.)
Jon

Jon, I totally agree, I had an Excel years ago and it had a OM control that I was very comfortable with, I'm just now getting my Fadal 3016 back up and running, I bought it used and stripped it down to the main casting and I've been working on it when I can. Fadal3016 .jpg

Rapid and Feed control on the same knob? Learn something everyday.

That is a very cool picture of a Fanuc control application. Looks like you just opened a suitcase or something.

Don -
I have the same control (different physical layout in the cabinet.) Check out parameters 1421 and 8001. it seems to me that 8001 allows having the rapids hardwired into the PMC, or directed to take them from 1421 (OVE in 8001 and all of 1421 are 0 on my machine.) A Fanuc guru might have to clarify how 8001 works. Also note those speeds for rapids I gave you above are 1/3 speed of max for the machine, ours are turned down.
Jon

I want to change from Metric to Inch, I'd like to set Inch as the default, when I try to change the on or off in the settings, I get a red flashing error that says 'WRONG MODE" and I haven't been able to get around that. If you guys can help a brother out, it would be greatly appreciated. Don

Hello Don,
You should be able to change it via the Setting Page with the Mode Switch set to MDI (without having to set the PWE Bit). It is usually set by including G20(Imperial), or G21(Metric)in the first block of the part program and is a recommended practice to do so. Whatever mode is specified in the part program (G20 or G21) will remain as the default when cycling the power to the control, until changed by executing the alternate G20/G21 to that which is the current default.

13engines said:
Rapid and Feed control on the same knob? Learn something everyday.
The implementation of Override and other switches is the responsibility of the MTB, not Fanuc. It's reasonably common to have Feed and Rapid Override on the one control, but many don't like it compared to the two separate controls. The main objection is that when its important that a feed rate be maintained, the Rapid rate can't be reduced without also reducing the feed rate.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
I have always had machines that had separate adjustments for feed and rapid traverse rates but also with an option to make the override knob affect feed, rapid or both.
Thanks for your help Bill

Back