What's new
What's new

2006 Fadal with Fanuc Control

Don Davis 87

Aluminum
I’m trying to find out how to set the Z axis tool changer height. I bought the machine used without a manual. I would also like to buy a manual if I anyone has one. Thanks

I’m trying to find out how to set the Z axis tool changer height. I bought the machine used without a manual. I would also like to buy a manual if I anyone has one. Thanks

I think you need to be more specific about the control, like model # and what exactly you mean by setting the tool changer height. This normally won't change unless someone changes it. But, basically, on a Fanuc, the Z axis tool change height is set in the 2nd reference position (G30). At least on all of the Fanucs I have run. I work for Doosan and all of our machines are set about 3MM below home position. (G28).

I think you need to be more specific about the control, like model # and what exactly you mean by setting the tool changer height. This normally won't change unless someone changes it. But, basically, on a Fanuc, the Z axis tool change height is set in the 2nd reference position (G30). At least on all of the Fanucs I have run. I work for Doosan and all of our machines are set about 3MM below home position. (G28).

The control is an 18i
The machine was filthy and required a full rebuild.
The tool changer bolts to a casting off the main casting, almost nothing is pinned in a Fadal so I will have to adjust the height the Z axis travels to when it changes tools. I know the procedure for alignment , what I don’t know is where to store that height information, I once owned a Excel with a Fanuc OM and it was stored as a parameter. I don’t know if its a parameter on this newer control or if they made it easier. Thanks, Don

Thanks Jon, My machine is also a 3016, it’s one of the thyssenkrupp machines. I did download several of those manuals in PDF form but haven’t been able to find the parameters manual. Thanks for your help.
Don

On the 18i, the parameter would be 1241. There is a value for each axis. Usually, on a 3 axis, only Z Axis would have a value in it.

Paul

I just did this on a 2009 Fadal with a fanuc control because of a low battery. I cant remember how I did it but you should get an alarm when you fire up the machine. Google the alarm number and you will find out the procedure. It must be done for each axis.

Don -
I don't know how familiar you are with Fanuc but just in case you are not: if the machine powers up do a full system backup ASAP. There is another thread on here about the old style PCMCIA memory card adapter and memory cards that you need for this controller (Fanuc 21i SRAM back up problems.) Also if you get the "purple" error about batteries those are the Fanuc batteries you hot swap, don't try when the system is powered down.

The maintenance manual is pretty handy as well: http://jamet.com/Fanuc_Web_Manuals/CNCs_Current/63525EN.pdf. Appendix C has the instructions on SRAM backups.

Good luck! Jon

I've done this what seems like thousands of times on a 2007 with 21m. I believe the parameter your looking for is actually 1815. There is a value for all 3 axis. They should all be 1 when your finished.

https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/FANUC_Zero_Return_Procedure.pdf

If you need more help let me know and I'll walk you through the procedure.

1815 sets home position. Tool change position is NOT home position. Now, I admit I do not know a Fadal. But tool change position is usually a couple of MM below home position.

Paul

If the machine has lost batteries. It is the 1815 that he will have to reset. And he will have to do all three Axis. We have never messed with 1241 even with a battery power loss and I have owned this machine since 2007. I see no reason the tool change and the home position can't be the same? Not saying there isn't just don't see the purpose. On My 21 they are both the same whether you use G30 OR G28 Makes no difference. None the less the 1815 is what he will need to set. Per the .pdf above.

FWIW I looked at my 3016/18i and parameters 1240/1241 have all zeros. Curious, I spoke to my tech, former senior Fadal field guy, knows what there is to known about these machines, and here is what he said about tool changer positioning:
With Fadals, even with Fanuc controls, you don't mess with 1240/1241. It's all about getting everything aligned then using 1815 to reset zero. There are shims and pins for the cambox and tool changer, you get everything square to the column, put a tool in the spindle and hand crank the arm for a tool change (you can move the arms via parameters too if you know how), play with Z to make sure you have the right alignment for the gripper arms as it comes into the tool in the spindle, and use 1815 to set 0 on Z.

Last edited:

Back