What's new
What's new

2014 Sharp Industries SVL-2416SE-M is this a good machine?

gundog

Hot Rolled
You may have read my other posts about a Haas mill there is a company close by that has a lightly used Sharp Industries SVL-2416SE-M 04-14 date. I am trying to get more info on it and I may be able to go see it tomorrow. This is outside of what I was looking for but for the price I can get it for I maybe able to purchase a 3Ø converter and move it for less than buying the Haas TM-1P. It has a Siemens 828D control.

I know nobody knows the condition of this machine over the net but is this a decent machine? I will be machining 6061 T6 for my own business. Is the Siemens 828D control a good control?

Part of the reason I was going with the Haas was they offered training on their control. My experience is with running a CNC Router using Vectric software for CAD & CAM. My bed mill I program at the control. I have started trying to learn Fusion 360 but when I was talking to the Haas salesman ( I know he is a salesman) he asked if my CAD/CAM program had a Haas post possessor and it does it also has a PP for the Siemens 840D but I don't show one for the 828D.

I am proficient with my current CAD/CAM program so the salesman said I could use canned tapping cycles for tapping my CAD/CAM program does not support tapping because it was designed for CNC routers designed more for sign and cabinet guys. I have been using this program for 10 years so I really don't want to change unless I have to.

I am not sure this would be the right machine for me but my hunch is it is a better machine than the Haas TM-1P but whether it is better for my use is what I am trying to decide. It is a ton faster and probably more accurate but maybe more difficult for me to learn and use than the Haas.

This is the info I got from phase perfect I am not sure which converter I would need yet because I don't have the load info until I go see the machine.

Below you will find some specs and pricing for the phase converter for your application: (I cut out the pricing info.)

The PT330 digital phase converter will handle 36 amps of continuous load and 150 amps for four seconds of momentary load. Our converters provide balanced three phase power in the delta form within 1%. The converter is 97% efficient this model uses about 100W per hour on standby. The converter output voltage will match the input. The running volume is about 70db about conversation level

This one needs a 70 amp 240 volt service.

The PT355 digital phase converter will handle 64 amps of continuous load and 280 amps for four seconds of momentary load. Our converters provide balanced three phase power in the delta form within 1%. The converter is 97% efficient this model uses about 280W per hour on standby. The converter output voltage will match the input. The running volume is about 70db which is about conversation level.

This one needs a 125 amp 240 volt service.

I thought I knew that machine, but I thought it was a Fanuc control. Is it the one down south of me?

I don't know anything about the Siemens controls, but I have a 2005 SV-2412 that has been a good solid machine.

if thats the machine I think it is . Its a M model so it would be Siemens and I would not even look at it ,, close to ZERO support for it ..the pics of it look like new but there is a vary good reason why its about half the price it was new 4 years ago.

I would stick to Fanuc controls or Haas .

No it is up here in WA about 10 miles from me.
Okay, different machine.

The one I was thinking of is no longer on CL, it may have sold.

They are solid little mills, I would take one over a Haas any day (and I have both). My only criticism is the umbrella tool changers, which I can't stand because it's impossible to keep the chips out of them...

if thats the machine I think it is . Its a M model so it would be Siemens and I would not even look at it ,, close to ZERO support for it ..the pics of it look like new but there is a vary good reason why its about half the price it was new 4 years ago.

I would stick to Fanuc controls or Haas .

The control has no support? The current model on their web site has that same control. The last thing I want is a problem machine or a poor control. This is why I asked you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

The control has no support? The current model on their web site has that same control. The last thing I want is a problem machine or a poor control. This is why I asked you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

IME with older Siemens controls, support is hard to get once the control is more than just a few years old. I'd advise looking for a Fanuc version.

Is there a dealer/support network near by that sells and services these machines?

Siemens controls were highly regarded, last time I checked.

Just because the machine usually comes with the cheapest Fanuc Oi mate control in other configs does not make the 828 a bad control.

I personally have uses the old 804 controls and despise a Fanuc control over a Siemens.

IMO Siemens is far more user friendly. Siemens also publishes their manuals online.

I plan to look at it the guy I talked to is not a machinist he is in charge of selling it but said he could have one of the machinist answer my questions and demonstrate it for me. He said several of the guys were not happy they were getting rid of it but it wasn't being used much and they need the floor space.

Is there a dealer/support network near by that sells and services these machines?

Siemens controls were highly regarded, last time I checked.

Just because the machine usually comes with the cheapest Fanuc Oi mate control in other configs does not make the 828 a bad control.

I personally have uses the old 804 controls and despise a Fanuc control over a Siemens.

IMO Siemens is far more user friendly. Siemens also publishes their manuals online.

Yes the guy that sold me my Trak bed mill is a dealer for Sharp.

Have you been dealing with Don? CNCA? I looked into the Sharps and still have my eye on them. There's a shop here in Portland area I went and checked out with the Siemens contro. He showed me the Siemens next to a Fanuc and it made the Fanuc look like a broken Gameboy. But talking with locals I can't find any info on the Siemens control and even with the Sharp rep in the room when I was checking out the machine it sounded like he was not at all familiar with it, tech service was who know where, and parts might come from California or they might come from Taiwan. The 2416 is FAST linear way machine. It is 10hp and unless you plan to use all that a 10hp Phase Perfect should be more than overkill.

Very tempting. They look like good machines. Just knowing they're Taiwanese, service is who knows where, nobody knows the control, and knowing they have some cheapie components inside makes me afraid of them. But the Siemens had some cool features from what I saw that made them look easier than the Haas control in one or two ways.

Now the owner of the machine operated this every day and still did not know how to properly load a tool, and the Sharp rep couldn't help him.... that says something.

Siemens is a good control but there is vary little support for it and I would not want one as a shop owner. before I went self employed I worked at a shop that had Delta 20 controls and I really liked them but when we had one go down it was MONTHS trying to get it fixed,, I seen the same thing with a Fagor 8025 control, good control but NO support,

if its the machine I think it is, there selling a 4 year old machine for under half the price they spent for it tells me something about it ,, like I posted a week ago, I looked at the sharp 2414 boxway machines and they looked nice tell I asked the only dealer in the Seattle area about service and got told " I can find someone to fix it" meaning even as the dealer they did not work on them.

A machine is only as good as the support you get for it ,, All machines go down and you don't get to pick when or what lets out the smoke,

I went and looked at it today and made them an offer I could live with they emailed me back and took my offer so it looks like next week I will be moving it to my shop. The machine looks really good and one of their engineers demonstrated the machine it worked flawless and has had very little use. I watched a video last night on the control and I liked what I saw. I will post some more details when I own it and snap some pictures.

Yes it does have a spindle chiller and the spindle was upgraded to 12,000 RPM.

Thanks for all the info this was a hard decision for me to make.

I think you will be happy with that machine. My Sharps have given me yeoman's service.

Easy to work on and parts are easy to get, plus Sharp answers the phone when you call them...

Make sure you get ALL the documentation- every manual, shred of paper, CDROM, copies of the ladder, service records, original sales documents if they will let you copy. Get everything!

Ask them to leave a program or two in the control so you have a reference for your own program formats. That'll save you some head scratching.

Also any shipping brackets if they are still around, the little red toolbox with the pint of touch-up paint. Take it all with you. Leave no trace of that machine in the seller's shop, lol.

I think you will be happy with that machine. My Sharps have given me yeoman's service.

Easy to work on and parts are easy to get, plus Sharp answers the phone when you call them...

Make sure you get ALL the documentation- every manual, shred of paper, CDROM, copies of the ladder, service records, original sales documents if they will let you copy. Get everything!

Ask them to leave a program or two in the control so you have a reference for your own program formats. That'll save you some head scratching.

Also any shipping brackets if they are still around, the little red toolbox with the pint of touch-up paint. Take it all with you. Leave no trace of that machine in the seller's shop, lol.

They said they had a whole stack of manuals and paper work for it. The engineer that demonstrated the machine said he wanted to buy it but did not have the funds I am going to ask him if he wants to make some side money giving me some training on it to get started. I am also getting all the tool holders and collets it has a 20 place tool changer full of holders, drill chucks, collet chucks etc. They are also giving me the coolant they use with it. They prototyped with it plastic and aluminum parts for gauges I don't think it ever cut steel. All the chips in the enclosure were plastic and aluminum. It also has a nice cart on wheels that the chips dump into.

Back