What's new
What's new

Kuraki KMB 11A questions

alphonso

Titanium
Been offered a mid ninties Kuraki KMB 11A horizontal machining center. Most of the features are to my liking. However, the top spindle speed is 1500 rpm. Looking at the Kuraki web site, the current equivalent machine has top spindle speed of 3000 rpm. These seem to be awfully slow even for a 50 taper machine.

What is the thinking behind these speeds? Possible to modify something to increase the spindle to something like 6000 rpm?

I believe that machine has a quill type spindle like a boring mill giving you a W axis. That requires pretty large diameter bearings which can not run too fast. It would be a huge effort to eliminate the quill and drop down to a "standard" spindle to gain some higher RPM. The Kuraki KBT machines that I have worked on have 3 speed headstocks too. Pretty sure the KMB is also a 3 speed. You would probably have to get different gearsets to get higher RPMs too.

Yeah, this machine has a 3 speed gearbox. I haven't seen the machine up close yet, so there are a number of things I don't know about it. I am curious to know what design change allows the current version to have twice the spindle speed for the same size quill (4.33").

Back