What's new
What's new

22J vs S26 collet chucks

ondori

Aluminum
Looking to get my first collet chuck for my Doosan Lynx.

I'm familiar with 22J collets, I've never heard of S26 collets.
I noticed that if I get a 22J collet chuck my max diameter will be 2.25", which is below my spindle bore of ~2.59

while a S26 collet chuck will let me run up to 2.625".

It's probably better that I get the S26 collet, so I don't limit myself in the future. Is there any reason I shouldn't get an S26?

I did some searching on this forum and google, and still can't quite understand what the "S26 pad" style collets are and how they work... would appreciate some help!

I'd get what ever allows you to use the max bore Ø of the machine..............................If you can afford it, get the Hardinge FlexC system or Royal Quick Grip system. Spendy, but much better. I have the FlexC on my Lynx and it works great. Fast change over and tons of gripping power even with smooth collets.

I'd get what ever allows you to use the max bore Ø of the machine..............................If you can afford it, get the Hardinge FlexC system or Royal Quick Grip system. Spendy, but much better. I have the FlexC on my Lynx and it works great. Fast change over and tons of gripping power even with smooth collets.

The nose dia is larger on the master and pad system chuck, can cause clearance issues with high density toolholding and driven radial holders. Depending on part config.

The pads cost more than 22j collets. The collets are faster to change, despite the marketing saying otherwise. That master collet has to come out for cleaning or it will get grouted in.

If you are not using this on a subspindle machine I would get a pullback type collet chuck. much cheaper and easier to use.

I'm not a fan of collet pads. We have an S20 chuck, and on smaller sizes they are quite difficult to take in and out, having to be pried out. Say 3/8" and smaller. I would go for a Royal QG chuck if budget allows, but looking at 22J it seems to be just an upsized 5C - I would prefer that many times over collet pads.

It will come down to what kind of work you do and budget.................my FlexC machine runs mostly bars. I don't baby it. No problems with push back. Concentricity is great. They allow greater clamp range. The collets don't "cant" when clamping over/under sized material. Even chucking for 2nd ops works well. Right now I'm runnin some parts with little clamp length and a bunch of stick out. Takin some serious cuts. Parts stay put. No wobble either...........................oh and you can get a master flex collet that accepts S collet pads.

The nose dia is larger on the master and pad system chuck, can cause clearance issues with high density toolholding and driven radial holders. Depending on part config.

The pads cost more than 22j collets. The collets are faster to change, despite the marketing saying otherwise. That master collet has to come out for cleaning or it will get grouted in.

If you are not using this on a subspindle machine I would get a pullback type collet chuck. much cheaper and easier to use.

Well, not entirely correct.
S-pads are cheaper by a shot.
https://www.shophardinge.com/Search.aspx?str=22J&catid0=1504
https://www.shophardinge.com/Search.aspx?str=S26&catid1=7362

Yes, the master will have to come out, but!
The Flex masters ( Mine is Microcentric, but pretty sure Royal and Hardinge is the same ) come out in 10 seconds so cleaning is a piece of cake.
Also, with the J style collets having a fine thread + chips is not a very good match. It's only a matter of time before one or the other goobers up.

The choice of pullback vs dead-length is not only related to subspindle or not, rather if you're doing 2nd ops on this chuck then you really want the dead-length.

By and large, the major advantage the 22J has over any S-pads is concentricity.
The other advantage with 22J is the inherent ability of a workstop in the collet, BUT!
Some of the Flex-style systems also allow for a workstop in the chuck body.
A bit more cumbersome, but can be done on the Microcentric, perhaps on the others as well.

Oh, another thing is clamping range.
The Flex stuff is the absolute winner there, no contest.

Back