What's new
What's new

3/16 Female Inverted Flare -Anyone Done This?

sknies

Plastic
I have a a job where I need to machine a 3/16 female inverted flare, customer says the threads are 3/8-24, but has no lead on where to get the tool for the flare. Does anyone know if this is available?

Inverted flare connections were standard on automotive brake lines. A real auto parts dealer should carry the tools.

It won't be much help telling you this as it is probable you'll find an off-the-shelf supplier, but we run a brass part with 7/16 inverted flare, we ground our own HSS tool using an endmill, and we also ground our own 7/16-20 tap that has relief for the hump in the middle, so the threads can go past the top of it.

If you don't have a surface grinder to do something like that, plenty of tool grinders out there that could pump out something like that for you.

I should add that the part I was talking about was for the mill. If you run it in a lathe, it would be a bit easier :)

The cutters are readily available from the hydraulic port cutter suppliers in both HSS and carbide. Normally you just drill a pilot then do the tapping as a separate operation. Whilst yes the thread is 3/8 24 i seam to remember its held to a tighter tolerance than a std bolt thread.

The good cutters give you the seat angle, tap drill size and chamfer all in one nice hit. So there a pretty quick feature to plop in.

Can anyone lead me in the direction to any tool suppliers where I could buy a HSS and possibly carbide tool for this?

Thank you all.

Never used em, but just google SAE port cutters, this is but one of many

SAE Port Contour Cutters On Form Relief Tool Co.

I'm not positive he's doing those kind of ports, although I know you just googled.

I *think* he's doing J512 inverted flare, based on his description and my googling. It seems this is the exact same one I commented that I do occasionally: J512 Tooling - Elk Grove, IL

I assume you are doing a -3 based on your tube diameter and thread you mentioned. I was apparently doing a -5.

And now I know where to call next time we break one of the tools. We run thousands of them a year in the mill and haven't broken one in a few years, but I just know it will break the next time... and I don't want to make another.

I have made 100's of thousands of those things over the years.
I think ours are 7/16-20 threads tho.

Ours were used as remote bleeders for slave cylinders, but see'ins how gear jammers are a thing of the past in commercial vehicles, we haven't sold any of those is several years now...

I didn't know (or think to research) about anyone that had these tools as standard items at the time. (90's)
So I had my local tool grinder make them.

I didn't like the looks of the relieved cut tap idea, not to mention the REALLY short lead for a cut tap.
I went with a slightly shortened lead on a form tap. (Jarvis)
Then I would put them in the lathe and hollow out the tip with a carbide spot drill.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back