What's new
What's new

3" NPT threadmill tool recommendation ?

phatbob

Plastic
Hi need to do some 3" NPT holes (inside) in alu, looking at tooling options everything I have is 11TPI min.. so this looks like 8TPI.. can anyone recommend a decent tapered toolholder / tool (ideally indexed single as I can change it up for other jobs).. not a common job so I'd prefer to go that route vs. a dedicated tool..

was looking at carmex but that is all i found at a quick glance..

I just use a suitably sized single-row threadmill. It's cheaper, lets me do a range of pitches and while it takes a little longer, if it's just a few holes it's usually not an issue.

Iscar and Tungaloy make great single tooth threadmills that work for range of threads. I have both sizes and use them fairly often. Both are nearly identical but Tungaloy inserts are a little cheaper.

You can use these for NPT but you need to machine taper on first, and its much easier to mess things up. Probably be a lot safer to get proper tool for NPT if its critical application.

If you’re going to go with a single point tool, just throw a lathe ID threading bar in there. No need to buy anything.

I think when most people are saying single point they actually mean single tooth which if it were 4 flute would have 4 cutting edges. At least that's how my tool library refers to the nomenclature.

But I do have a 3/4" threading bar in a CAT40 holder :D

Well sure. Just feed it slower.
I haven’t found an online code generator for single point npt though, so programming might take a bit.

I can’t remember doing anything bigger than 3/4 and I use thread mills for those.
Thread Mill Code Generator – Scientific Cutting Tools, Inc.

I’ve actually never sat down to program a single point npt.

I just program it as a tapered threadmill but single tooth and it automatically cuts the taper. I've played with CAM that doesn't officially support pipe threads but was able to cut them by drawing a tapered helix and following the sketch with a trace type tool path.

I just program it as a tapered threadmill but single tooth and it automatically cuts the taper.

You mean in cam right?

I have seen so many people over the years claim that you can just get a tapered threadmill and program a basic (cylindrical) helical path with it, and the threadmill itself will generate the taper. That this doesn't produce a true conical thread often doesn't compute in their heads...

On topic - my preferred threadmills for larger threads are Sandvik's Coromill 328 (actually made by / licensed from Simtek, but not sure if they are available in the US)

CoroMill 328

You mean in cam right?

I have seen so many people over the years claim that you can just get a tapered threadmill and program a basic (cylindrical) helical path with it, and the threadmill itself will generate the taper. That this doesn't produce a true conical thread often doesn't compute in their heads...

On topic - my preferred threadmills for larger threads are Sandvik's Coromill 328 (actually made by / licensed from Simtek, but not sure if they are available in the US)

CoroMill 328

In SolidCam if you program the taper into the tool library but only have a single tooth cutter it automatically does a tapered helix.

And yes I understand even with a full form threadmill you still need to have a taper to the helix since the diameter changes with Z

Anyway if it's only a few holes I would just use a single tooth cutter.

Back