What's new
What's new

316 SS troubleshooting

jephw

Aluminum
Hey all.
Running some 316 SS in the mill/turn. Milling with a 1/4 diameter tiAln coated endmill, 170 sfm, 8ipm feed. Tools don't last, noticeable chipping on the endmill.
Any suggestions on what to adjust?
Topic might've been butchered already but here we are😁

How rigid is the setup, very stiff or flexible? You don't want to bounce a cutter in any steel if you can avoid it.

I'd look at decreasing stepover and significantly increasing SFM and feed. Let speed recover what you lose in aggressive width of cut.

Mori Sieki NL3000. 1" stick out. 0.1875 step down and 0.06 step over. Setup is fairly rigid, see photo.
IMG_20211207_125936592_HDR.jpg

I'd say to go about 30%-50% faster on the SFPM. 170 seems too low.

It looks like you're full slotting in the picture, is that true? I've never had luck full slotting any type of 300 series stainless.

Stub endmill? If not, change over to one. Is that .187" depth in one go? I'd step in, maybe .040" a pass, then do a .030" step over, but at faster S/F. That setup isn't too stiff when compared to a more conventional milling op.

And how tight is the milling spindle? When was it last rebuilt?

No stub endmill. I "zigzag" at 3 degrees to .1875 and then step over 0.06. I will try what you suggested. How about 250 sfm and .002 ipr?

No stub endmill. I "zigzag" at 3 degrees to .1875 and then step over 0.06. I will try what you suggested. How about 250 sfm and .002 ipr?

Sure,try it. But I'd get some stub endmills if that's an op you do a lot of. And I'd still check your spindle, as that's an endmill killer if it's got slop.

I would go 200 sfm and 8-10ipm, whatever that is in ipt it's less than 2 per tooth. Stubby would help if you run shallow stainless in the future.

Thanks for the advice everyone! All I need is to do a few parts, so I will work with the tools on hand and adjust accordingly. Cheers!

As others have mentioned get a stub endmill, definitely with a corner rad, .01-.02" is plenty. If you aren't familiar with them, DeBoer Tool outside of Toronto (Mississuga to be exact) makes a really nice stub endmill, called the X-mill, with corner rads.

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but COOLANT, COOLANT, COOLANT!!! And lot's of it, right at the cutting edge.

Quite often I do what you're doing there with a similar setup (although my Haas is likely of a lot lesser quality than your lathe). I find that the 4000RPM limitation of live tool puts me on the lower end of the feed and speed recommendations. On 316 I slot light and slow and the endmills seem to hold up well. I use Kenna's Gomills. I've got the fancier ones, Harvi, etc, but still prefer Gomills. I also find that 316 is often different from batch to batch and vendor, not sure why.

Hey all.
Running some 316 SS in the mill/turn. Milling with a 1/4 diameter tiAln coated endmill, 170 sfm, 8ipm feed. Tools don't last, noticeable chipping on the endmill.
Any suggestions on what to adjust?
Topic might've been butchered already but here we are��

A little more SFM, I think. Chipping is usually due to not enough speed.

Back