What's new
What's new

40" x machine - Haas TM vs Fryer vs Prototrak vs ???

DanielG

Stainless
I have a customer I do work for getting his manufacturing systems set up. The parts are primarily milled out of 39" long pieces of square aluminum tube. The current machine is a milling spindle attached to his ShopSabre plasma table. It works, but it's a pain. I'd like to convince him to upgrade to a better machine for the milling operations.

The guy operating this isn't a machinist. He has a list of instructions and follows them: Press home button, wait, press tool length button, wait, put parts in fixture, open the g-code file, hit the green button, wait.

Requirements:
40" of X
toolholders (e.g. CAT) instead of collets
mist coolant, although that's easy to add
home switches or absolute encoders
2.5D CNC

Would be nice:
ATC
20"+ of Y
high speed spindle
small footprint

My list so far:

Prototrak: doesn't have home switches on the toolroom mills, so they're out. Their VMC has home switches, but for the money I could get a far better machine.

Haas TM-2P or TM-3P: Probably the least expensive option. Good support

Fryer MB or MC series: Siemens 828 w/ absolute encoders.

Are there any other machines that should be on my list?

In the ideal world, he'd have a mill that took in 24' tubes at one end and spat out finished parts cut to length at the other end, but that's an expensive proposition.

Don't forget Fadals.

For what you want a Fadal would be ideal.

Their easy to service, even a caveman could do it. Parts are readily available for each and every part of the machine from multiple sources.

Advice on fixing Fadals is available here, the other forum, and the Fadal FB page.

And the 88HS control is easy to learn. You could likely be up and running after watching some youtube videos.

My Fadals endorse this message!

Take a good look at Haas. They would be perfect for something like that.

Think several times about the Fryer. Not much love is lost on them in this forum or in my heart.

On second thought the Fadal will probably be easier to fix when the non-machinist decides to turn up the feedrate to 200% to make it go faster...... :rolleyes5: :scratchchin:

"even a caveman could do it"
Funny thing about that, I see it quite often and can't help but think that folks are overlooking the fact that this guy made notes on cave walls 40,000 years ago that still make perfect sense today and just about anyone can look at them and understand most aspects of his daily activities. Your average people today can't make notes they can use tomorrow to repeat how they did something today.

I would vote for a Haas, there is very good support from the factory.

The Brother Speedio S1000 is 40 x 20. Available with either 10k High Torque or 16k spindles. The side panels can be easily removed and long work fed through.
Support in the NE is excellent from Yamazen Connecticut.

The Brother Speedio S1000 is 40 x 20. Available with either 10k High Torque or 16k spindles. The side panels can be easily removed and long work fed through.
Support in the NE is excellent from Yamazen Connecticut.

I had thought about it, but it is (last time I checked) quite a bit more expensive. He's not rate limited, so the faster machine doesn't really buy anything. I'd also thought about the other 40x20 VMCs. The big advantage of the brother in this case over the other VMCs is the footprint.

If you're looking for used, see if there are any Hyundai-Kia VX400/500 machines in your area.
We bought ours about 10 years ago brand new for $50k. They are a really nice rock solid machine, nothing fancy and Fanuc control. Side access panels come off on each side for long work.
A used one shouldn't be too expensive.

I think a Brother is way overkill for what he is trying to do. He could do quite well with a used Fadal, Hyundai, Haas, Doosan, etc.

No brainer on the Haas TM2P. There are faster machines no doubt, but the TM works perfect for that kind of thing. I have run thousands of pieces of 36" extrusion with very complicated geometry thru mine... no ten of them alike. It would have been faster in one of my other machines, but the machine paid for itself in about three months. Plus, unlike some of the other machines, I could sell it on Craigslist for about what I have into it in about two days.

I just got a email about a inventory blow out from Haas
there listing TM-3P with a 4th axis for $49.995 and they also have VF3 mills on for $59,995 ...

without knowing your part and only going by that its square tube I would think a 4th to index would be nice?

One big upside I can see with Haas is all the online support and that its made in the USA ... hand down its the easiest control in the US to find a operator for.

What was your experience with Fryer. Mine is too long to post here..:rolleyes5: :typing:

Yeah, kinda the same boat. Couple of nightmares on top of regular shitty machine type stuff.

Suffice to say you'd think a company that builds cheap machines (in my opinion) that are prone to all sort of inexplicable failures (in my experience) would be more savvy to the customer service aspect of it.

Back