What's new
What's new

4MB CF-card

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, I need to restock on 4MB Compact Flash card(s), does anyone know where can a New or NOS be obtained from?

My Mori has an Oi-Tc, which will not read anything bigger than a 4MB card.
I do have a couple of PCMCIA - CF adapters, so good there, but somehow I've misplaced a 2pack of the actual memory cards I've purchased long time ago.
I know I can E-bay some used ones, and Amazon has a few used as well, but hoping for something that's virgin.

I used these also and had to buy refurbished ones from Amazon. Somehow finding them new was harder than I thought.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Look for a camera or photography store. If you can get the staff to stop laughing after you ask for a CF card, they might be able to find you one stuffed under a shelf or in a box. 4MB will be a struggle though. That was outdated in 2005 when I bought my camera. They had just released 1 GIG. Now they are up to 8 or more gig and of course now noone uses them. Yay.

I recently bought one for my old SLR as I had left one of my other cards at my last job as the machine would not read larger than 1G, but strangely the card reader at the computer would not read the 1G. I brought in a 256M card that worked fine. The two techno genius's just could not comprehend that the machine would not read them... owell.

The kid at the camera store would not stop giggling and kept asking, what kind of card was it? Finally the older women in the back came up and rolled her eyes, walked over to a counter, and pulled out a box of CF cards. I happily paid the $32 for the NOS card (with price tag from 2010) and went on my way.

Best of luck... you may as well be asking for a few spare rolls of tape and a punch machine. I didn't think I was that old till I asked a kid recently about a floppy disk drive and he burst out laughing.

Look for a camera or photography store. If you can get the staff to stop laughing after you ask for a CF card, ...

The kid at the camera store would not stop giggling and kept asking, what kind of card was it? Finally the older women in the back came up and rolled her eyes, walked over to a counter, and pulled out a box of CF cards. I happily paid the $32 for the NOS card (with price tag from 2010) and went on my way.

Best of luck... you may as well be asking for a few spare rolls of tape and a punch machine. I didn't think I was that old till I asked a kid recently about a floppy disk drive and he burst out laughing.

LOL!

Yupp, my (now missing) 2 pack came from the very last Ritz Camera before they've closed for good 'bout 8 years ago.

About the floppy drive, 3 or so years ago I have purchased the very very last USB floppy drive from Best Buy as I needed it to load programs into a Milltronics in a hurry.
The floppy disks OTOH were a completely different story, noone had a single one of them, and one kid at Staples couldn't even laugh as he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.
Eventually I've ended up rummaging through my private junkyard in the basement, and after about 20 disks I've found one that actually took the reformat....

I did rummage through that same pile yesterday and found my old Agfa and Canon camera, but the damned cards were not in them.

Milland

Sorry, I ain't going the Ali-route. Have had a miserable luck with some gems from Amazon's oddball suppliers, not willing to re-experience that again.

Guys.... seriously!
I have read about certain size cards not working but you can go bigger than 4MB! I use two different brands that work no problem on my Oi-c's and on my meldas 60's

"AboMem 512 MB" this one I actually got with the card reader for the Meldas when they installed it and it works perfectly on the Oi's too. No formatting, worked straight out the box.

I could not find the same cards when I wanted to buy more so I got Amazon.com: Transcend 2 GB 133x CompactFlash Memory Card TS2GCF133: Electronics They also work without issue. Did not format them on the control at all.

Seymour, I am glad you posted this thread. It reminded me that I needed a couple backups too.

I picked up 2 4GB Delkin CF cards from the local photo supply this morning. They wouldn't read until I reformatted them to FAT, but now they are working fine.

I bought both cards they had on hand. The guy said they stock them, and will get more. They were $16.99 ea.

If you have trouble finding new ones, I can check back with them in a week or so and see if they have restocked.

edit to add: you guys are talking 4MB? Not GB?

I have Oi-MC and Oi Mate-MB. Both read the 256MB card. The cards I just got are 4GB, and they are fine after reformatting. I did not re-partition, just formatted with XP disk manager. It sees the card as as FAT 4GB. Files copy each way at the control fine.

Yeah,
Seymour it might be that you need to format them to FAT. I did read somewhere that FAT and not FAT32 works. The bigger cards will be way easier to find than your 4MB, as I am sure you have already figured out, hence this thread. It also has something to do with the Speed? of the card, it is why I linked to the one that I know works.
I have never had luck formatting them at the control, from what I remember you do it when your control starts up. I did try it and it made one of my cards unreadable by my machines.

It should be possible to partition the card to 4mb on a PC if it won't read a larger card.

Doin' that for ages. ISTR we were running Intel 386-16?

Just lie to it with "the usual suspects".

Wotever yer OS of choice does disklabel, fdisk, MBR writing... yadda, yadda or its own equivalents with.

Mind that means NOT the CNC device.

Unix. Linux, wotever, rather.

Legacy device won't know the diff, and you can even use the other space for other stuff., other partition types, etc.

Back