What's new
What's new

5 Axis tool pocket theory part 2.

BRIAN.T

Cast Iron
I posted a while ago asking for ideas on how to arrange my 60 available pockets in my 5 axis. I settled on 1-50 always being in the machine, my most commonly used tools. 51-60 are added as needed. It works great!

Now I am buying another 5 axis, the exact same machine, because it's awesome. So my question is, should I build up this tool library identically to the first machine, allowing me to run jobs on either machine. Or build a slightly different library for different jobs. It would allow me easier setups, but only if I commit to each job running on it's specific machine. We do mostly aluminum, so I figured both machines the same would be easiest. But ide like to know what people think.

Thanks

Mikron E 500 u 20k fyi.

Can you purchase additional offsets?
...sorry, didn't read the first thread where this may have been addressed.

Can you purchase additional offsets?
...sorry, didn't read the first thread where this may have been addressed.

My control has unlimited offsets, and I can swap out tool offset files. Meaning I could have one offset file for tools 1-97, then physically remove all those tool, add a completely different set of tools 1-123, load the corresponding offset file and make parts. Heidenhain Rules!,

I don't however do that often, as it's much faster to keep my most common tools in there.

I've just woken up, so hopefully that makes sense. Thanks

All of our mills use the same common tool list. The actual tools loaded in each machine differ depending on need.

Our tool numbering system is as simple as it gets. A new tool gets the next incremental T number. This helps us avoid gaps and running out of tool numbers by trying to be too creative.

Back