What's new
What's new

$5/lb for 4130 DOM tubing?

huleo

Hot Rolled
Just curious if this number is inline for 400#? That seems a bit high to me but we have not bought this material in years.

tube/pipe prices are almost double from 2 months ago. Lead time from tube mills is longer than normal also. We don't use gourmet tube but I would imagine it follows merchant grade pricing. Plate prices are also up, while stock shape (angles/beams/flat) are down.

IF you can drill it from solid (assuming your part is not too long, sometimes its a better way to go. 4140 round bar is about $1/lb or less now. Obviously I don't know what your part looks like so . . . . , but a carbide insert drill can make tubing pretty quickly.

I try to pencil drilling most any time that DOM is spec'd, and I usually win by starting with solid.
I have a job that I punch a >1" hole over 8" deep, and I still win.
Then, that $ stays in my shop, in stead of some way overpriced tube mills pocket.

Make no bones about it:
Example 2004:
"Steel" doubled in price.
DOM doubled in price.
Doo you have any idea what % of the cost of DOM is actual material?
It aint close to 100% - I'll promise you that!

Also - is 4130 actually available in "DOM"?
Or just "tubing"?
DOM is typically a 1026 item only AFAIK.
???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I try to pencil drilling most any time that DOM is spec'd, and I usually win by starting with solid.
Then, that $ stays in my shop, in stead of some way overpriced tube mills pocket.

Make no bones about it:
Example 2004:
DOM doubled in price.

Or just "tubing"?
???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last time I bought tubing it was somewhere in the 4" I'd range it was about $45 a foot for 5 ft

Make no bones about it:
Example 2004:
DOM doubled in price.

Or just "tubing"?
???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I havent looked for tubing in a long time. I remember the pricing was much higher than solids. I think it has to do with quantity made when they did the mill run and how often they run it.

My dad says 30+ years ago he ran a firearm manufacturer that was running tubing instead of solids. They would come in with the cross slide and swage/pinch the material down to size, right at the end instead of drilling the length of the part. Then they reamed the hole to size. I think the part was 3-4 inches long. This was to save time so they could manufacture more. I dont know how the price compared back then. My dad was always very impressed with some of the old techniques he saw in the late 70's early 80's.

These could have been on multi spindles. I forget which machines he said it was.

I also remember seeing some thin walled hose/fittings parts that said alternate material was a DOM product. I didnt even look for it.

Back