What's new
What's new

5797a Material What is it?

alphonso

Titanium
Just asked to quote some parts. Customer says material is 5797A. Part of a hammermill he says. Google draws a blank. None of my resources mention it. WTF is this stuff??

Yeah, perfectly legit to ask them for clarification, and for acceptable substitute materials if what they want isn't available without a mill run.

S7? Some other impact-rated tool steel? Something with high manganese?

Let us know what they say...

Yeah, perfectly legit to ask them for clarification, and for acceptable substitute materials if what they want isn't available without a mill run.

S7? Some other impact-rated tool steel? Something with high manganese?

Let us know what they say...

agreed that's why I said a material cert

try sticking an 'AMS' prefix to make it a valid spec. then google has an answer. May not be the correct answer tho. Fancy stuff tho .... ~50% Co so let's hope there is a simpler, less expensive explanation.

Definitely not wire. Part is about 2" by 4" by 3/4". Contoured OD with two 1 inch holes drilled thru.
I am going to eat my words, don't guess lol, but I bet it's probably low allow steel for strength, take a file to it
to understand if it's hard, grind a spot look at the color of the sparks, give a clue to the type of steel (look up on the internet for color) I don't remember all the colors, It is in one of my old met. lab books.
old school test. if a file can notch it easily, you good to go with speeds and feeds for annealed steel.

AMS5797A: Cobalt Alloy, Corrosion and Heat-Resistant, Covered Welding Electrodes, 51.5Co - 20Cr - 10Ni - 15W - SAE International

Looks like an overlay wire to me.

Is it possible they made a mistake and it is supposed to be hardfaced with 5797a?

Definitely not wire. Part is about 2" by 4" by 3/4". Contoured OD with two 1 inch holes drilled thru.

If it's not the wire, then about the only possibility left is that it is an internal specification used by your customer or the OEM. Pretty much every metal material ever used by anyone will score at least a couple of hits on google, this one doesn't so I seriously doubt it is a standard material spec. Lots of our customers have their own internal material specification document codes that they put on their drawings instead of the actual material. The helpful ones will include that document in the RFQ/Order. Others you have to chase the right person to give it to you.

If it's not the wire, then about the only possibility left is that it is an internal specification used by your customer or the OEM. Pretty much every metal material ever used by anyone will score at least a couple of hits on google, this one doesn't so I seriously doubt it is a standard material spec. Lots of our customers have their own internal material specification document codes that they put on their drawings instead of the actual material. The helpful ones will include that document in the RFQ/Order. Others you have to chase the right person to give it to you.

Sounds very possible. There was a pump manufacturer near me that charged extra for their proprietary "******* 500" material. In customers minds it was better cause they paid more but in reality it was a scam and just regular old 17-4 with a fancy marketing scam. IIRC they purposely made their standard shafts from an inferior material just so there was a difference. The scam part was that their fancy shaft was the same as competitors standard shaft even though they claimed superiority

Regardless a clarification from the customer is certainly in order.

Ooooohhhhh. The old blurry picture gag. Did the requisitioner happen to be wearing fuzzy bunny slippers and be holding a quart of hand lotion?

Trying to get clarification from customer. Have not had the part in hand, only seen a blurry picture of it.

51.5Co - 20Cr - 10Ni - 15W with 3.5% left for iron... You couldn't afford that with a stimulus from congress & there's usually a bunch of bars flailing in a hammermill. Check the part with a magnet...

Good luck,
Matt

Back