Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question 5c or 16c expanding collet part ejector

Did a google search, pm search, and searched Hardinge's site on the above topic without much success.

Say you had a lathe with a sub spindle and you have to grab the part on the i.d. for the sub op.

And you don't have a pick-off arm to get the finished part off the sub into the parts catcher.

Is there such a beast? I have some ideers on how to make it happen, but would like to see if anyone here has done this before, and if so how they done it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hardinge has a special collets engineering department, I would talk to them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the idea, I'll give them a try if I don't get much in the way of responses. Sounds like that could be pricey though.

I was hoping to see if someone has done it themselves and how they accomplished it.

I have the machines the ideas and the tools and would like to tackle this in house. I have quite a few jobs I would like to apply this to if I can come up with a working solution.

I would hate to invest in custom tooling and then have the part qty requirements wind down.

At least if I do something in house I will only be out an expanding collet, my time, and some minimal odds and ends, should the part demand go down or somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At Hardinge not every thing they have done is on their web pages. They might have a cost effective solution or not, but you will not know unless you ask.
    I just looked at my ID collets (Small to medium 5C) and there is not a lot of room to install an effective ejector. Also not sure how long the pins will need to eject to clear the part off the collet. A failure to eject may get expensive. If you have an auto door opener and are not doing too many parts, program the door to open and strip each part off by hand.
    Off the subject, the only time I have ever used an ejector stop was to kick some "J" screws out against a stop on the cross slide. We needed to locate off the outside end of some Allen screws we were machining and the over all length of the blanks was not very tight. We pressed cycle start and the machine went to the stop position and opened and closed the collet and the ejector pushed the parts out against the stop.
    If you go with the shop built solution let us know how it works.

5. Likes chip_maker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will do. May be a couple of months though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I had some free time and got to work on my ideer. A couple of 1/16 knockout pins, some coil spring stock, a lil machining and this is what I came up with .
    20160317_140828.jpg

20160317_142746.jpg

Here's a youtube video link: March 17, 216 - YouTube
    Last edited by chip_maker; 03-18-2016 at 05:49 AM.

8. Likes csteen, litlerob1 liked this post