What's new
What's new

5C collet chuck for HAAS TL1 Lathe

CThaas

Plastic
Hello every one. I am a newbie to both CNC machining and this forum. I recently took ownership of a new HAAS TL1 lathe. Came with an LMC 3 jaw chuck. I would like to be able to use my Hardinge 5C collets with it, and switch back and forth between the collets and the chuck without too much trouble. Is there some way of mounting a Sjogren type speed wheel Chuck on the HAAS TL1? Any advice or links are appreciated.

I dotn know why you couldnt put a air auto closer on it, like the one from the old hardinge AHC machines. there cheap when you find them used. thought soemone had one on here last week for sale or parts of one.

We have a Royal Products pneumatic 5C collet chuck for our 2007 TL-1. It's great though doesn't get used a ton since our bison 3 jaw is very good. But for a few small production runs on sub 1" stock it was great. It happens we have a Victor (Hardinge clone) right next to it and that machine has all the collets in 64ths in neat rotating racks, so they're there.

When I had a TL-1, I used a 3-jaw most of the time. When I needed to use 5C collets I used one of these: Kalamazoo Industries 1CC 5C collet fixture

Couldn’t have a faster changeover, just clamp the Kalamazoo in the 3-jaw. Of course slower in use than an air closer, but quite versatile.

I have heard about the collet chuck system you talk about above. Definitly an attractive option. The only thing I wasn't sure about was it was recommended that the 3 jaw chuck have soft jaws and every time you mount the collet chuck you should cut the jaws to minimize run-out. Have you had any experience been with this?

I have heard about the collet chuck system you talk about above. Definitly an attractive option. The only thing I wasn't sure about was it was recommended that the 3 jaw chuck have soft jaws and every time you mount the collet chuck you should cut the jaws to minimize run-out. Have you had any experience been with this?

You should have an adjustable (set tru) 3 jaw chuck. That would fix that issue a whole lot better than having to skim jaws every time.

I actually did have a set-tru 3-jaw that I used for some rifle barrel work. I guess it depends how accurate you need your collets to run. I’d run the Kalamazoo as it was installed on some parts. I’d dial it in within .0002” on some of my other ones.

We have a Royal Products pneumatic 5C collet chuck for our 2007 TL-1. It's great though doesn't get used a ton since our bison 3 jaw is very good. But for a few small production runs on sub 1" stock it was great. It happens we have a Victor (Hardinge clone) right next to it and that machine has all the collets in 64ths in neat rotating racks, so they're there.

I am only a little familiar with the Royal pneumatic chuck. once it is installed what do I have to do to put the 3 jaw chuck back on? also I think I looked into the Royal some time ago and thought they would only fit on a TL1 lathe made before 2013.

You should have an adjustable (set tru) 3 jaw chuck. That would fix that issue a whole lot better than having to skim jaws every time.

well, I checked the 3 jaw chuck that came with my TL1 and it is an LMC with an adjustable back plate system. Thanks everyone for the good advice, and happy holidays.

I am only a little familiar with the Royal pneumatic chuck. once it is installed what do I have to do to put the 3 jaw chuck back on? also I think I looked into the Royal some time ago and thought they would only fit on a TL1 lathe made before 2013.

I have a Royal pneumatic 5C for my Miltronics ML20. D1 spindle so chuck off / on is easy. just slide the Royal out and remove the collet adapter, D1 as well, collet closer comes off in about 2 minutes.

Back