What's new
What's new

5th axis rocklock application

broke

Hot Rolled
I'm looking for some real life experience.

I have a job that I would like to fixture to the 5th axis rocklock 96mm bases. The idea would be to thread mill and counter bore some .5-1inch long pedestals on the work piece then mount it to several rocklock bases.

Has anyone done this and If so, how did it work for you?

I didn't realize "Rocklock" was the cute name for a "5th axis" model...with "5th Axis" being a confusing company name in the first place. Like Haas naming their company "CNC Machine" :dopeslap:

Not across several bases, but a single base directly to parts, yes. I'd imagine if you locate them accurately enough it would work fine across more than one base. How many are you talking?

Attaching parts directly to the riser on my UMC has worked great. Used it several times. For example,

Milled rocklock stud holes & roughed pocket on horizontal:
rough1.jpg
rough2.jpg

Then finished the inside, top & 4 sides in first operation on umc.
op1.jpg20190805_163344.jpg

Probably could've got away with just a dovetail to hold it in this case, but with the rocklock it can be removed from the machine, checked in QC, then located back on the machine relatively accurately.

Not across several bases, but a single base directly to parts, yes. I'd imagine if you locate them accurately enough it would work fine across more than one base. How many are you talking?

Attaching parts directly to the riser on my UMC has worked great. Used it several times. For example,

Milled rocklock stud holes & roughed pocket on horizontal:
View attachment 278445
View attachment 278446

Then finished the inside, top & 4 sides in first operation on umc.
View attachment 278447View attachment 278449

Probably could've got away with just a dovetail to hold it in this case, but with the rocklock it can be removed from the machine, checked in QC, then located back on the machine relatively accurately.

Wow, nice work.

Back