65mm collet system, hardinge, royal, hainbuch? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Naturally, you're talking about the 5C chuck there as I know of no internal holding possiblity with the flex chucks.

Yes, the push-to-close can be used with expanding mandrels, but you will loose the inherent dead-length feature of the expanding collet.

This is the one I was looking at, its on page 8 of the hardinge Flex-C pdf.
    Royal doesn't appear to make an expanding mandrel adapter for their flex collet chucks though.
    www.hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/collet/2382.pdf

https://www.shophardinge.com/categories.aspx?catid=7688

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally received the Flex-C 65.
    Learned I have to make a coolant slinger ring for it as the body is small and big risk of coolant getting into the front of the spindle bearings on these machines, probably why Royal makes theirs with it on there... anyway easy fix. If I had known earlier on, and that there'd be these delays I'd have just gotten the royal through a canadian dealer for about same $ and been running 3 weeks ago but anyway.

Now mostly curious as I didn't notice it yet in my readings, what's the minimum length you can grab on before the ass end slips out of these? about 3/4 of the collet length? I guess that's a bit of a down side of the flex collets eh but pretty sure I already got a trick or 2 around that.
    What sort of pressure setting are y'all running, mid range or will they handle the same pressure as the 3jaw chuck fine?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mazak SQT250 with Flex-C 65 150-200PSI on gage, I had a job where it was holding on .180, it was a soft collet with bored step.

4. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should finally get it on there tomorrow, I just learned how to not take a chuck off... ah well might as well get the first dings out of the way eh. Really though the lug(excepted more than 1...) would be a little longer and that it was still gonna hold on there when it got a little loose off the taper like a manual lathe chuck, nope, straight to the bottom of the pan like a dumbass. Of course 5 minutes earlier I had thought I should go get a 2.5" acetal rod and put it in the spindle just in case, then turned around and forgot, things I shouldn't be doing after a 14hr day and running on 3-5hrs of sleep a night for who knows how long now.

Still didn't find a pressure chart/max pressure for this thing. 20-22bar is max for the 8" chuck that was on there so definitely gonna stay below that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least there wasn't a toe or a finger to break it's fall.

Don't feel too bad:

Tuesday, @ 33 hours into my 2nd all-nighter in 4 days, and as the last feature of a 40 hr block, I overshot my boring head as the head was .050/rev while my inside mic is .025/rev. I was in semi-finishing mode, when I should have been in "finishing" mode. I think all is fine, but after several features of +/- 1 and 32 finishes, I had to go and pull that BS at the end.

I guess subconsciously I just can't stand perfection?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

7. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

edit...
    And we're back on... gotta love being able to call the tech on a sunday evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Finally received the Flex-C 65.
    Now mostly curious as I didn't notice it yet in my readings, what's the minimum length you can grab on before the ass end slips out of these? about 3/4 of the collet length?
    I'm daily holding on to .200-.300" length of hex stock in all kinds of materials (SS, Inconel alloys, Titanium, Brass, Aluminum).
    I've held on as low as .100" width of hex stock but I'm not crazy about it. I just program lower feed rates on the roughing on those occasions.