What's new
What's new

Need advise on new lathe...

AdrianM

Plastic
So we are getting a new lathe and would like to get some of your opinions on some machines. We are a job shop doing low volume high mix work right now. We are looking at a 3 different machines. All of them have 8" chucks (2.5" thru) a Y axis and sub spindle. Here they are in order of weight.

Doosan Lynx 2100LSYB: Angled Linear Ways, 12 station BMT45 turret with 1/2 indexing

DMG-Mori NLX 2000: Box Ways, 12 station BMT65 turret with NO 1/2 indexing

Doosan Puma 2100SY: Box Ways, 12 station BMT55 turret with 1/2 indexing

I am leaning to the most economical choice the Lynx 2100. It seem right sized for what we are doing. The Puma is not too much more expensive but much more heavy duty and rigid. The DMG is on big time sale its about the same specs as the Puma but I am worried about the turret not having half indexing (50% fewer tool offsets than the Doosans). Also the BMT65 live tooling is very pricey.

What do you guys think?

If the DMG has a Y-axis you don't need half indexing as there are Y-axis offset double and even quad tool blocks.

The DMG should be BMT40 or BMT60 not BMT65.

Look into Takisawa as well. Very rigid and relatively compact. Very good machines and not crazy expensive.

We had some Tsugami M08SYs that I would buy again at the old shop - they are CHEAP compared to other Y/S lathe offerings and they are rigid and accurate. The only problems we had were plastic in the coolant tank (nothing anyone can do to help that but you need to clean out a little filter basket once every few days or it will overflow coolant all over the place) and then when idiots started crashing them they don't have jack screws for turret alignment so it took the techs a long time to get them back running. My fix for that is don't crash machines.

I'm a semi-noob on lathes, but still don't think the half indexing is as important as you think it is. Like the one person said, the multiple tool blocks can handle a lot of that. Faster then indexing too. Of course if you've been non-stop-starving for tool slots in your previous work and can't see how even with multi-station tool blocks the sun will shine on your parade, then half indexing might be something. You didn't mention horsepower, which on heavy turning and drilling can get eaten up pretty fast. Also what about high pressure coolant capabilities? Parts catchers. Stuff like that. Just saying that the big picture is much bigger than indexing. Oh... box ways for sure. The higher rapids potentially available by linear rails doesn't mean that much in tight work envelope machines. To me the sacrifice in inherent dampening isn't worth it..

Last edited:
Forget about the double indexing, just get the Quad/double holders. Much better. The drawback off course is that you'll into clearance problems much faster. One thing I would do is figure out the turret size on the different machines (distance from the center of one axial live tool to another one across the turret). My old Mazak Quick turn smart 8" lathe had a small turret and the drills would barely clear the chuck. On the NLX 2000 (8" too) I think it uses the same turret as the NLX 2500 so there is lots of clearance.
I would be leaning towards the Doosan: You can get it with Siemens shop turn which is the bees knees from what I have heard. Regarding power: If you're running onsies and twosies it's not the cutting time that is eating up your margins. The NLX uses BMT60 holders. HP coolant is good when you don't have the time to use a day to dial in the process for chip breaking and such.

Look at all the features/options and what you plant to make, there's some difference them and in the quality of the live tools and how many come with it etc.
Lynx2100 is just 5" Sub as far as I know. Bar/through capacity on the sub isn't same for all as far as I know.
Maybe also compare with the Nakamura AS200 if you haven't.

Having worked for Doosan, I'm biased, but the Lynx is a huge value. The roller guideways are larger than they need to be, and are mounted on a machined and ground surface. The half index is very handy for maximizing tooling as is the Y axis. It's fast, accurate and built well. The Puma GT with its box ways is great for heavy duty cutting but there's no Y axis, you'd need to go to a Puma for that, also box ways, but a bit more money.

To be fair, the DMG Mori is just the bomb. A gorgeous show piece of a machine that's really capable. Expensive, but worth it. In my own shop, I have a Mori, and it is one heck of a machine. The fit and finish is nothing short of spectacular, the grind on the ways is just amazing and the machine's details are well thought out.

Summary, Doosan for good value. DMG-Mori if you want top drawer.

I saw many mentions of not needing more index station with Y, and I would completely dissagree with that.

You can't have too many index positions, you can only have too small of diameter of turret face-plate.

If you are running a chuck, and especially if you are running chucker type parts, you can NOT just use Y to get you more options, as the second tool in the same pocket will crash on your part/chuck.
If you are running bar, then sure - double up the holders....

With that said tho - there are times when you need less positions on the same turret to get the most work done.

Example - if you have a 12 position turret, and you are running a 10" chuck, you may not get adjacent holders to clear your chuck/work - resulting in only 6 tools.
But going to a 10 position top plate - could yield you 10 tools!

You need to find the working diameter of the top-plate, and the nominal X location of the holders from the top plate surface, and the degrees between, and then figger the ability to clear the chuck.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back