What's new
What's new

98' Haas VF-6 Spindle Orientation Trouble

rokstarr999

Aluminum
HI

The shot pin on the spindle orientation is not engaging so I can't do a tool change. After pushing spindle orientation the spindle will attempt to orient and the shot pin will move in but it will pop back out. The orientation ring will rotate a couple more times as the shot pin pops in and back out until the machine alarms out. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it. Is it possible the tip of the shot pin sheared off and now its not long enough?

Thank you

You may have already tried this but from the Haas online database:

Decrease the values of Parameter 73 SP HIGH G/MIN SPEED and Parameter 74 SP LOW G/MIN SPEED to slow the orientation speed. The spindle will orient easier in high gear than it will in low gear and the machine can be programmed for this.

This is obviously just a band-aid if it works but may let you know that you are dealing with wear/dirty assembly rather than damaged components.

HI

The shot pin on the spindle orientation is not engaging so I can't do a tool change. After pushing spindle orientation the spindle will attempt to orient and the shot pin will move in but it will pop back out. The orientation ring will rotate a couple more times as the shot pin pops in and back out until the machine alarms out. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it. Is it possible the tip of the shot pin sheared off and now its not long enough?

Thank you

It's not likely that it sheared off, over time it gets sloppy in the cylinder and leaks air so it's not as strong as it should be.
When it happened at my last job I took the shot pin block apart and changed the o-rings inside and also changed the parameters as BugRobotics said.

That was after verifying that it was getting enough air to begin with.

It worked for a little while but started doing it again. It really needed to be replaced.

Thanks for all the replies. Per Selway we adjusted Parameter 74 and it work for a few tool changes, but is doing it again. Waiting on a call back from Selway to verify we need service, but it sounds like we might just need to replace the shot pin? Machine orients fine in high gear, just seems to be low that were having trouble with.

One thing I did notice after we adjusted Par 74 is that the spindle oriented, but had a little stutter / shimmy as it tried to lock into place, almost like it was still trying to rotate. So it did a little back and forth stutter as it locked into place and did the tool change.

Back